Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Jzpeace

RVF Newbee
I bought my 27' 2018 Catalina last year, took it out 3 times, and my Blue Ox 2 point hitch spring bar fell off while trying to back it into my driveway. I noticed the L bracket had twisted. The spring bar fell off when I was turning my trailer at a 90° angle to get it into my driveway. I really do not like this system and prefer my old towing system with the chains and separate stabilizer unit. Has anyone else had problems with this type of hitch system? Also, I need ideas on how to not bottom out backing into my driveway.. it is a little too steep and last year I broke off the black water tank valve. (I replaced it, and it started to scrape again this time). Thank you.

Attachments

• 20230924_165213.jpg
    20230924_165213.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
  • 20230924_165200.jpg
    20230924_165200.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 5
Those bars are badly damaged. You clearly bottomed out and it both of the bars. Are your trailer rails level when hitched to the TV after weight distribution is applied?

Might need to take the bars off when making sharp turns or going up the steep incline of your driveway.

Thank you. That does make sense as to what happened. I wasn't sure if I should've taken the bars off before trying to cut the turn. I never had this problem with my old trailer and its hitch system. Grrr!! These were put on by the RV dealership.. is it possible to get them put on at home? I'm afraid I won't get them on tight enough.

Thank you. That does make sense as to what happened. I wasn't sure if I should've taken the bars off before trying to cut the turn. I never had this problem with my old trailer and its hitch system. Grrr!! These were put on by the RV dealership.. is it possible to get them put on at home? I'm afraid I won't get them on tight enough.
I would go to a reputable hitch shop and get them to check out your setup. The RV dealers don't tend to know what they're doing in that regard.

Latest resources

Back