Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2024 Jeep Rubicon
Fulltimer
Yes
We are purchasing a 2019 DS and wanted to know what everyone is using to tow their toads. We were looking at the BLUE Ox unit. Let me know what model you like please. Thanks Dave

We are purchasing a 2019 DS and wanted to know what everyone is using to tow their toads. We were looking at the BLUE Ox unit. Let me know what model you like please. Thanks Dave
We are using a BX 4370 Ascent and it works very well for us. It is not rated as the heaviest as we only tow a 2018 2 door Wrangler which is pretty light. Depending on what you are going to tow, you may want to look into options that are available. Over rated is always better than under rated.

We do not use Blue Ox's braking system. We use Brake Buddy instead. We chose Brake Buddy because it was available right when we needed it. Blue Ox was a week away. We are pleased with Brake Buddy's performance but, since we have had the compressor rebuilt twice now (over 10 years), if the Blue Ox system would have been built to last longer.

Just an FYI. I'm quite sure that a braking system is mandatory in all of the US states and Canada.

Safe travels
Darrell

Welcome to the forum.

Welcome from another Texan. I have used Blue Ox for years but I recently changed to Roadmaster for their non-binding towbar. You'll need a supplemental braking system and I highly recommend M&G Engineering in Athens, TX. Give Monty a call and he can give you a complete price for the braking system, towbar, base plate, and the wiring for the brake lights. He carries Blue Ox and Roadmaster. I have no financial interest just almost 20 years of experience with them.

We used a Blue Ox Aventa LX for our old smart car, but when we upgraded to a Wrangler we went with the NSA Ready Brute Elite system - tow bar and braking system in a single unit. It works well with both my wife's Wrangler and my Gladiator.

We use a Roadmaster Nighthawk.

Doesn't matter; both RoadMaster and BlueOX are the "standards" if there is any.
I've used the Sterling and Nighthawk to tow my Raptor.
The failures I've seen have been from one of two reasons: hitting a dip bending the towbar, and catastrophic baseplate failures from loose bolts and cracked plates.

Just be sure of the following:
- correct install, and CONSTANT maintenance/safety checks
- The proper WEIGHT RATED tow bar
- SAFETY CABLE tying baseplates to the FRAME of the toad
- AirForceOne (or equivalent) supplemental/emergency brake system

Latest resources

Back