Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
Apparently there has been an ongoing issue with high pressure Bosch diesel fuel pumps. US Diesel basically causes the pump to self destruct taking the fuel system if not the engine out with it. So those with diesel pickups might want to be aware of this if not already up to speed.

Nasty $10k+ issue should you be unlucky with one of these pumps.

Not a fan of random additives to oil or fuel BUT this might be an exception.

2 gallons of bio diesel per tank will fix the lubricant issue. Can't find bio try vegetable oil, just not as much.

Well that certainly took me down a rabbit hole. Ordered Hotshot secret LX4 after a couple hours of research. Still hard to say which product is best, or if this product will actually do anything, or if its even really needed, but it seems it can’t hurt and at a 1:3200 ratio, its cheap - $18 to treat 400 gallons. Its also convenient because it comes in a re-useable 16oz bottle w/1 ounce squeeze dose, and its half the cost in 1 gal jugs. So I’ll use it in all my diesels.

IMG_2418.jpeg

For those so inclined, here is an aftermarket solution to the CP4 issue.

Interesting but he doesn't explain how an additional fuel filter will solve the problem of low lubricity in ULSD fuel or what is is lacking with the two OE fuel filters which are rather advanced compared to the one in the SS kit.

OE fuel filter set:
IMG_2421.jpeg
I only sat through the first 10 minutes of the video - is it explained later?

The S&S kit is designed to capture the debri of a CP4 failure. It is a relatively "Cheap" fix.
S&S Diesel also offers a fix with a pump conversion kit that fixes the CP4 issue by installing a different style pump.
There are others that swap in a Denso pump, more tolerant to bad diesel, and still others that use an earlier Bosch pump, CP3 which is a higher performance pump and are less sensitive to poor fuel and do not grenade.

This Rabbit hole has many branches....

The S&S kit is designed to capture the debri of a CP4 failure. It is a relatively "Cheap" fix.
S&S Diesel also offers a fix with a pump conversion kit that fixes the CP4 issue by installing a different style pump.
There are others that swap in a Denso pump, more tolerant to bad diesel, and still others that use an earlier Bosch pump, CP3 which is a higher performance pump and are less sensitive to poor fuel and do not grenade.

This Rabbit hole has many branches....

Capturing any debris is not going to do any good as the pump destroys itself.

The catastrophic failure kit prevents debris from migrating through the motor. I knew that that was a problem in the Fords, but I didn't realize Ford was using a Bosch pump.(always been a Dodge guy) I believe from 1998-2002 Dodge used a Bosch injection pump that was prone to getting stuck in full retard. I wouldn't start unless you gave it a little shot of ether. It would get you to the shop. $2500 for a new pump back then. We did figure out that a quart of ATF in the fuel periodically would prevent this. We even got a couple of pumps to "unstick" this way. That lack of lubricity really wreaks havoc sometimes.

Latest resources

Back