L884593

RVF Regular
RV Year
RV Make
Keystone
RV Model
Hideout
RV Length
Not "new" to RV's per se just not knowledgeable about all the workings. Just installed new brakes all around about to repack bearings and my mind got to wondering.
. Does the emergency brake on tow vehicle, when engaged, engage the RV brakes?? sounds stupid i know-but i'd rather ask :)

According to the 2018 Keystone User Manual: (short answer, the emergency Trailer Brakes are battery operated by switch attached to a lanyard. The trailer system is completely independent from tow vehicle braking system.)

Breakaway Switch The breakaway switch is another safety device as it provides a means of automatically slowing and stopping your RV if it should become detached from the tow vehicle during transit. The cable from the breakaway switch should be attached to the tow vehicle and if a separation occurs, the pin is pulled out of the switch which activates the brakes of the trailer to slow and eventually stop the trailer. The breakaway switch is only powered by a 12 volt RV battery on the trailer. The RV battery is not supplied by Keystone.

Please consult your RV dealer to purchase the proper battery. How to Test the Breakaway Switch 1. Disconnect the 7-way trailer cord from the RV to the tow vehicle. 2. Pull the lanyard pin out to the first stage. 3. Brakes should audibly engage. 4. Double check by moving the tow vehicle forward slightly to be sure the RV brakes have locked and are operating correctly.

Vehicles do not have emergency brakes there parking brakes if you find your self in an emergency braking situation and you normal brakes are inop. Push the horn button repeatedly while praying to what ever god or demon you fancy but do not expect much from your parking brakes.
the parking brake does not apply the trailer brakes trailer brakes are applied via brake circuit on the tow vehicle which does not engage the trailer brakes when the tow vehicles is shut off.

most trailers from 08 or newer or depending on what state sold before that date have an emergency brake activated power source it is not however something you use to hold the trailer not only is it a pain to activate and de activate by hand it’s battery is very small really only made for momentarily applying the trailer brakes full on if the trailer detaches from the tow vehicle. That is done via a small cable hooked from the activator on the trailer and attached to the tow vehicle. So do not manually apply this brake to hold the trailer on its own. the battery will drain quickly and your trailer will roll off into the sunset on its own.

I read the question posed by @L884593 a little differently. It seems to me that he is asking if applying the emergency/parking brake in his tow vehicle engages the trailer brakes in the same way as if you stepped on the brake pedal. I may have it wrong, but that was my take.

And, the short answer is no. The longer answer is that trailer brakes are activated electrically by either the tow vehicle stoplight circuit, a brake controller connected to the tow vehicle braking system or a brake controller with an inertia braking sensor.

The tow vehicle emergency/parking brake neither activates the taillight circuit nor the normal brake system. And, when the tow vehicle emergency/parking vehicle is engaged, there is no braking momentum change to sense.

TJ

I read the question posed by @L884593 a little differently. It seems to me that he is asking if applying the emergency/parking brake in his tow vehicle engages the trailer brakes in the same way as if you stepped on the brake pedal. I may have it wrong, but that was my take.

And, the short answer is no. The longer answer is that trailer brakes are activated electrically by either the tow vehicle stoplight circuit, a brake controller connected to the tow vehicle braking system or a brake controller with an inertia braking sensor.

The tow vehicle emergency/parking brake neither activates the taillight circuit nor the normal brake system. And, when the tow vehicle emergency/parking vehicle is engaged, there is no braking momentum change to sense.

TJ
Thank you...you did interpret my question; now that may or maynot be good as i'm usually not real good at stating what i'm asking. Thank you both for your feedback

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back