Chassis
Ford F53
Engine
7.3L gas
TOW/TOAD
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Fulltimer
No
I test drove a GT7 today and the brakes were not impressive. I had to use a lot of pedal pressure when coming off the interstate. The unit stopped ok, and maybe I’m not used to a class A. I just sold an Airstream and diesel truck, so that’s a different beast altogether. I think this would be an intimidating rig with the addition of a toad going down a mountain road without the security of the engine brake that I really liked in my Ram diesel. Is this just an adjustment I need to make, or is anyone else dealing with this?

I have a 2016 Georgetown XL, much like the GT7. Yea, there not like your truck and trailer. For one thing I would think the GT7 is much heavier than the airstream and truck. I have no problem, but I anticipate stopping and get off the gas sooner, slow down sooner. I also keep my distance from everyone. I just don't want the stress. I've had to make one or two panic stops, and yes, I had to press hard.

Yes. It seems with a class A you have to press hard. Mineis twice the weight of the class C I had before. When exiting highways or in traffic, I often use the tow hal mode, sothe engine assists in slowing the rig down.

And as. BGMAC, says anticipate, anticipate, anticipate. Distance is your friend.

We have a 2019 GT5 34H5 and tow a 2009 Volco C70. Yes, quite a bit of pressure is needed when stopping suddenly but I seldom do. I'm always looking ahead and probably go slower than most. I also always drive with my tow mode on. This helps alleviate additional wear and tear on your coach brakes and uses your transmission to slow you down. We have never had any breaking issues at all but we're also very cautious as we're in a 22,000 lb chassis.
I hope this helps and wish you the best.

Latest resources

Back