RV Length
38 Ft
Chassis
Ford
Engine
V8 7.3 litres
Fulltimer
No
We bought this towards end of summer 2022 and got to use it twice then winterized it. In the spring of 2023 it went back to Lazy Days in Elkhart Indiana for some warranty work. I never thought it would be sitting there the entire camping season. It's still winterized from 2022. We never got to use it last year. It's been sitting in storage since we got it back in the late fall of 2023. Some of the items we wanted fixed never got done. We were like just give it back to us, I'll fix the remaining items myself.

Its a Coachen Encore 375RB and I have one issue they couldnt figure outand I'm still searching for an answer. The issue I have is with the steps. I havent been able to find a way for the stairs to stay in after I exit the RV and shut off the main power. I cant leave the main power switch on to close the steps but then it'll drain the battery. There is supposed to be a bypass switch somewhere to avoid this issue but I am unable to find it. If anyone can shed some light on this I would be forever grateful. I'm sure leaving the stairs out all winter cant be a good thing.
Coachmen Encore 375RB.jpg

Welcome! Great to have you with us. Please use the links in my signature to complete your profile and specify your RV details, etc.

Have you reached out to the dealer or RV vendor to ask about the step issue? Are they electrically extended/retracted? Check for a loose wire, typically loose grounds cause most issues.

Welcome! Great to have you with us. Please use the links in my signature to complete your profile and specify your RV details, etc.

Have you reached out to the dealer or RV vendor to ask about the step issue? Are they electrically extended/retracted? Check for a loose wire, typically loose grounds cause most issues.
Yes, electrically extended/retracted. The RV was at the dealer, and this was one of the issues I wanted them to fix. They had no clue. I had 3 techs come out when I picked it up from service to look at it. Basically, all they said was hmmmm that's weird. If I cant find a way to get the steps to retract after main power is off, I'll have to install some type of switch to bypass the system.
My thoughts were to flip a switch to add power to the steps after main power is off so i can get the steps to retract.

Are these Lippert (Kwikee) Steps?

Owners manual has some trouble shooting information.

Yes, electrically extended/retracted. The RV was at the dealer, and this was one of the issues I wanted them to fix. They had no clue. I had 3 techs come out when I picked it up from service to look at it. Basically, all they said was hmmmm that's weird. If I cant find a way to get the steps to retract after main power is off, I'll have to install some type of switch to bypass the system.
My thoughts were to flip a switch to add power to the steps after main power is off so i can get the steps to retract.
There is usually a sensor set at the bottom of the door frame (hinge side) that, when armed, will tell the step to retract. It should be armed using chassis battery power. The step should retract when the ignition is on and the door closed. You are correct in thinking that there should be a switch that will allow the step to stay retracted. Mine is right at the step well. I will get some pics.

When you are disconnecting the MAIN power does that also include the chassis power. The step should be operating using the chassis power not the house power.

Darrell

Power and Step.jpgStep.jpg

Are these Lippert (Kwikee) Steps?

Owners manual has some trouble shooting information.
I'm pretty sure they are Lippert. About everything on board is Lippert. The manual was my next possibility in hopes it would increase my Lippert retractable stairs knowledge. lol Now comes my second problem. We don't remember where we put the manuals. It's been so long since we've used it or been inside it that I don't remember if we brought the manuals in the house or stored them somewhere on the RV. I blame the medications. Tomorrow I'll head out to the storage facility and go on a treasure hunt for manuals.

Last edited:
Lippert has a number of free online "classes" that include certifications. I have taken all that apply to my unit and am now starting to take others just because they are there.

CLICK HERE to go to registration. This is a great resource.

Dave / Believer45

Coachman service says it all...horrible

Lippert has a number of free online "classes" that include certifications. I have taken all that apply to my unit and am now starting to take others just because they are there.

Dave / Believer45
Thank you so much Dave. I can see I'll need to do more of the repairs myself. Once the dealer has it you wont see your Rv for 2 months. I appreciate your help.

Dave / Believer45
These course will for sure come in handy. I went to the storage facility yesterday to check on a couple of things. I opened the windshield shade and all went well but... always a butt... I pressed the button to close the shade and the shade doesn't open, but my door did. At first, I thought I didn't have the door shut all way, but when I hit the button the main entrance door opens again. So now I'm sitting here scratching my head. Argh!

Latest resources

Back