Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

KatTab

RVF Newbee
Hello. We are a British couple with long stay US visas. We want to buy a RV to travel round the US and Canada (and possibly down to S America) for a couple of years. We are experienced campervanners and will buy an RV that will allow us to get off the beaten track (Not too large and maybe 4x4). We will sell the RV in the US when we finish our trip. We are planning ahead for next year, but need to start our research now. We do not need finance.
We have friends in South Carolina, Georgia and California who have said that we can use their address. Sales tax is South Carolina 5% (max 500$), Georgia 6.6% and California 7.25%.
So the first question is - which of these states would be best to buy and then sell a RV.
We understand that in California that pollution laws may effect the type of vehicle we are allowed to buy.
We are assuming that it might be easier to register the vehicle in the same state as the address, but this may not be the case.
We are unclear as to whether we need to pay property tax as well as sales tax (we do not own property in the US).
We will have many more questions, but these are the things we need to know to start the process.
Thank you for helping us with our first steps.

You do not want to registar in calif. Its sales tax is based on the address you use. It varies by county. If you have say a San Francisco address it will be 9%. Some states like my home state of Nevada if you are buying used from a private party there's no sales tax and fairly reasonable license fees. It has already been paid once where places like calif. tax it everytime it moves. Im sure others here will have other recommendations but you should read up here on a South Dakota or Montana's state registration. Enjoy your time here and keep right.

Thanks. So if California is not a good option, then that leaves us with a choice of South Carolina or Georgia. Is there any difference between these two? If I pay the sales tax, do I have to pay property tax on the RV as well?

Another option is using a mail service address, like @Kevin D Pem is suggesting. Florida and Texas are other states. Registration in Georgia can be pricey.

Thanks. We have already looked applying via Montana or a mail address, but we don't want to pursue these options. I am specifically asking about South Carolina or Georgia.

South Carolina there is no personal property tax on RV. Georgia you pay ad valorum tax instead of sales tax, which I believe is 7%. This is paid when new and by the new buyer when you resale the RV.

Thank you for that info
Please can you help us clarify what are the legal steps to put a RV on the road for use?
1)When we buy a RV, does it make a difference if ownership is transferred to a non US citizen?
2)What vehicle checks are required for road worthiness?
3) What is the process to register a RV in the US?
4) What insurance is required for full time use of a RV in the registered state and other states?
5) What is the period we can drive in the US with a U.K. or international driving license?
6) What issues do we need to consider.
Thank you

If you use a US address would that not require you to file a tax return? I am Canadian so I don’t know the answer but it is something to look into?

On the same line, when selling RV would there be tax implications in that?

Just putting these items out there to check. Perhaps someone more informed will answer.

Nothing much good ever happens in CA! Lol.
They tax you to death just like NY! SC or maybe even FLA is a possibility as they have one of the best run state governments there is.

Latest resources

Back