RV Year
RV Make
Grand Design
RV Model
Transcend 30mks
RV Length
35.75FT
Hello all,

Wife and I are in the midst of purchasing our first pull behind travel trailer. We are getting a 2019 grand design transcend 30mks 35ft. It has a plug and the "adapter" for a solar panel to be plugged in to trickle charge the batteries/run the lights. I am wondering what is the best option out there for solar panels/blankets for trailers?

Thanks I'm advance!

When you get the TT, you can confirm whether the solar 'plug' connects directly to the battery or your trailer included a solar controller. That's the first thing you need to know, if it includes a controller you can add 'bare' panels. If it doesn't you'll need to either add one or you can use 'solar briefcase' type panels that have a controller included.

Second issue is how much 12v power you need. Wife and I have been happy with a 100watt portable panel, plenty of power for our needs however it may not be enough for you.

Also, see this post: FYI - Solar 101 - A General Guide to Solar in your RV or Motorhome

And welcome aboard!

When you get the TT, you can confirm whether the solar 'plug' connects directly to the battery or your trailer included a solar controller. That's the first thing you need to know, if it includes a controller you can add 'bare' panels. If it doesn't you'll need to either add one or you can use 'solar briefcase' type panels that have a controller included.

Second issue is how much 12v power you need. Wife and I have been happy with a 100watt portable panel, plenty of power for our needs however it may not be enough for you.

Also, see this post: FYI - Solar 101 - A General Guide to Solar in your RV or Motorhome

And welcome aboard!
I am 95% positive that it does have the solar controller mounted in the pass through storage area. So just need to find a solar panel that can plug into the little plug on the outside of the trailer by the pass-through storage area. I'm thinking of a 150-200watt panel to make sure it is enough for both batteries.

The voltage of the panel is important! The controller specs determine the number of cells the panel can have.

Welcome aboard!

And welcome aboard!
It does not have a solar controller that I can see. The little connection on the outside of trailer says 10amp on it. So I should be looking for a solar panel that has a solar controller with it? Any recommendations?

It does not have a solar controller that I can see. The little connection on the outside of trailer says 10amp on it. So I should be looking for a solar panel that has a solar controller with it? Any recommendations?
10amp will limit how big you can go. You might want to try and follow that and verify it's connected to the 12v wiring to be 100% sure they didn't drop a solar charge controller in somewhere.

I'm currently using one of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NADR1CI/?tag=rvf01-20

Nothing fancy, but compact and easy to deploy/secure when we're at camp. Provides enough power that we never have to worry about it.

Be wary that there are sellers selling older models and there's a lot of off brand of varying quality out there.

Solar is one of those things that you could spend days and days trying to figure out the best setup for you and in the end you may end up re-doing it anyway.

10amp will limit how big you can go. You might want to try and follow that and verify it's connected to the 12v wiring to be 100% sure they didn't drop a solar charge controller in somewhere.

I'm currently using one of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NADR1CI/?tag=rvf01-20

Nothing fancy, but compact and easy to deploy/secure when we're at camp. Provides enough power that we never have to worry about it.

Be wary that there are sellers selling older models and there's a lot of off brand of varying quality out there.

Solar is one of those things that you could spend days and days trying to figure out the best setup for you and in the end you may end up re-doing it anyway.
It is a furrion 10amp solar connector port on the outside of the trailer. There are multiple manufacturers that are using this system and it is wired to the batteries to help charge them. Won't be able to run the heater or a/c with the help of the solar panel but could help keep the lights on in a place without shore power. Just trying to get my wife set up and ready as we are planning on driving from Washington state to northern Michigan to stay with some friends for a month. She will be there without me for a few weeks while I head to Alaska for work for 2 weeks. Just trying to get it set to where she can still have the lights and stuff on.

What you do for solar, will depend on how you intend to use the trailer. 10 amps is a starter kit, basically 100watts.

Latest resources

Back