• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Buying out of state

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Ken is correct and I think is trying to gently warn you. Let me be slightly more blunt. DO NOT finance, register, or put any large amount of money down on that trailer prior to getting out there.

When you are purchasing from an out of state dealer it is even more important to do pre-purchase and pre-delivery inspections, and here is why. It is not if you will need warranty work done it is when you will need warranty work done you obviously won't drive back to the selling dealer. So unless you are purchasing an expensive Newmar, Tiffin, or other high-end coach you will have to find another dealer somewhere. Other dealers for your brand will always take their customers first and you last.

We recently drove from Florida to Texas to purchase new. Got an excellent price and didn't put down squat before arriving out there for the initial inspection. A couple days later we headed out with our new unit and we had temporary Texas drive-away plates on it. Our Florida plates were ordered, our 40% down payment was made, and the financing was set, but the Texas dealer didn't actually get the remainder of their money from our credit union for another couple of days.

The bottom line here is I would have never purchased from a dealer 1,300 miles away except for the fact they knocked over 32% off MSRP. Even with that kind of a deal I would have never paid anything up front except maybe a $1,000 deposit on a credit card, which in my case the dealer didn't even want. California or not I would not trust these folks because something certainly smells here.
Thanks for the back up FL-Joe.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back