Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Big Gig

RVF Newbee
Anyone using Thousand Trails? Would like pros/cons.

Wife and I are hitting the road as retired full timers for a couple years. Want to get the beat bang for the buckšŸ˜œ

Anyone using Thousand Trails? Would like pros/cons.

Wife and I are hitting the road as retired full timers for a couple years. Want to get the beat bang for the buckšŸ˜œ
I used to use it several years ago, but it was mostly for my Jeep on off road trails. Seemed OK at the time. My guess is, that's probably now what you want it for?

Cost wise, I don't think it's really a good deal for full-timers, you can only stay up to 14 days then need to be out for 7 before you can go to another park. Read the terms carefully regarding usage. Not all of their parks we've seen have full hook ups, they're mostly water and 30 amp only, few 50 amp sites. Many we've been to are filled with full-time residents living in what appear to be RVs well past their prime. Several parks we've looked at just don't have sites large enough to accomodate our DP with 4 slides. On the other hand, some have been very nice and exceeded our expectations. If you're OK with the terms, go visit the nearest park if you can to see first hand then try it for 12 months. If you then like what the parks offer, consider buying a used membership from someone wanting out. We bought a discontinued Platinum membership (21 days, park to park, no re-sale restrictions) direct from an elderly couple who aged out. Avoid the re-sale brokers if you can, all they do is add cost. I did the transfer directly with Thousand Trails, they were very easy to work with.

Itā€™s a matter of what you want, where you will be going and can afford. We have the Adventure level. 21 days, park to park. For non peak I can make reservations 180 days out. For Encore resorts, an add on package, I can make reservations 90 days out. Right now we have already booked through March 21 in premium location in the south Texas area.

Yes, you are on a first come first available and some parks are crowded with ā€œpermanentā€ residents. We have been full time since May. One park we had to settle for 30amp full hook up or, we picked, a 50amp with no sewer.

Only real regret is the locations are in a horse shoe pattern. There are no parks in the central states.

Figuring at $60.00 per night we will be paid for in February. There are yearly dues but those are paid off in the first month or so then you have 10 (+ -) month free the rest of the year.

Resales are a good option but be careful what you get. A lot of the resales are old levels and donā€™t have the options you will, probably, wish you had.

Just my position and usage.

Why don't you wait to see if you will be traveling in the places where they have the member parks? My husband and I looked at them, and similar, membership parks years ago. There were hardly any parks where we traveled and what there was, we weren't interested in staying out. Then we had a really bad time-share experience which put us off those places for life. To save money, try Passport America. $44 per year for 50% off nightly rates. Some parks only allow 1 night, some allow up to a month. Some parks only allow the discount a few nights per year and others allow the discount year round. It all varies widely. But you can look at the website, without joining, to see where there are participating cg/parks as well as what is allowed and what restrictions there may be. Plus you can wait until the last minute to join (when you know you will be staying at a park participating in the PA program) or let it lapse if you find you won't be traveling for several months or years.

Latest resources

Back