Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
Everyone heads south for RVing in the Winter or stays home, puts in storage, etc. BUT are we missing some spectacular opportunities? I would never think of heading north like this but I have to be in Yakima for a week and rather not fly due to covid, boarding dog, etc. The views north of Salt Lake and then into southern ID are just spectacular. There may be something about camping in the north in the winter, of course when roads are clear. Absolutely breathtaking.

idaho.png
n-utah-2.png
n-utah.png

Scenery is gorgeous but this is 2 winters in a row, I’m sensing a trend you like the cold ?

Drive to the airport, deal with airport traffic, park, haul luggage to shuttle, shuttle to terminal, check luggage, TSA, walk to gate, wait, wait, wait, herded onto over crowded plane, more waiting, flight, wait before disembarking, find luggage area, more waiting, get luggage, go to rental car terminal, wait some more, haul luggage to rental car, fight airport traffic..........then do it all over again on the way home.

Flying starts and ends a vacation/trip miserably. I didnt mention crappy over priced airport food.

We refuse to ever fly again.

Love the pics, I-80 West of Cheyeene looks very similar.

Flying can be a PITA but it can be a time saver. I could have done this venture in one week allowing me to play pickleball two weeks ago, fly for a week for my meeting then return and dog could play for a week (somewhat). Cost to fly and hotel may be cheaper but obviously less enjoyable and less to take in along the journey. The only problem with this trip is it reminds me of planning combat missions, having to dodge threats "snow" and react accordingly. My return trip may completely change, it's planned down the western route to AZ and I may have to reverse this course back down through Salt Lake to stay on interstates. Oregon, Reno, Vegas, AZ is the plan for return, not sure it's going to happen based on snow. I love snow but I'm not sure I want to do 360's down the interstate and say weeeeeeeehhhh like in a car :)

Yup! looks like snow. Thanks for giving me my years worth of snow, and I didn't even have to get cold :)

Flying can be a PITA but it can be a time saver. I could have done this venture in one week allowing me to play pickleball two weeks ago, fly for a week for my meeting then return and dog could play for a week (somewhat). Cost to fly and hotel may be cheaper but obviously less enjoyable and less to take in along the journey. The only problem with this trip is it reminds me of planning combat missions, having to dodge threats "snow" and react accordingly. My return trip may completely change, it's planned down the western route to AZ and I may have to reverse this course back down through Salt Lake to stay on interstates. Oregon, Reno, Vegas, AZ is the plan for return, not sure it's going to happen based on snow. I love snow but I'm not sure I want to do 360's down the interstate and say weeeeeeeehhhh like in a car :)
We used to spend a bit of time in Yakima as our previous coach (05 36’FDDS Alpine) was manufactured by WRV which was located just south of town. Great coach by the way, sorry they went under in 09. The Yakima Nation RV Park is a really nice park only about 5 miles from Yakima. You might want to check it out for your stay.

RVing in the snow isn't so bad as long as you have a skirt, heater and lots of antifreeze in your tanks. Oh and lots of propane for heating the rig.

I am looking forward to heading somewhere it isn't frozen however.

I looked up Yakima Nation RV Park and it looks like it is closed permanently.

I'd love to do more winter camping but everything seems to shut down on the east coast. Have fun out there Neal !!!!

Latest resources

Back