• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Risrit

RVF Newbee
Hey all,
My partner and I are looking to full time with our kids, but we don't want to be reliant on our F250 all the time for in town driving. We currently have a small Volkswagen, but we're trading it in for a Leaf, so we won't be as dependent on gas. Anyone know if our F250 could handle towing the car as well as our 5th wheel? Manufacturer says the F250 can pull 15,000 and our 5th wheel fully loaded is 12,500.
Any advice is appreciated.

More info from a reliable source

Last edited:
I see boats, and ATV and motorcycle trailers behind fifth wheels (my son tows a trailer with one or two Polaris Rangers behind his), so yes it can be done, depending on your state laws and license requirements.

Besides the consideration of double (or triple) towing laws in states you might want to travel to, IMHO the second biggest thing to worry about would be braking. The brake controller on your truck controls the braking system on your 5th wheel. If you hook up a vehicle behind the 5th wheel it probably won't have an active braking system. In an emergency braking situation I think it would be a major safety issue. Personally I would never attempt this type of combination.

I don’t know anything about towing laws. But the leaf would have to be towed on a dolly or on a trailer. It can no be towed four down.

I don’t know anything about towing laws. But the leaf would have to be towed on a dolly or on a trailer. It can no be towed four down.
a lightweight car trailer with surge brakes would be a good choice, but the idea seems like an over complicated cumbersome mess to me. Imagine the fun at the gas pumps.....

a lightweight car trailer with surge brakes would be a good choice, but the idea seems like an over complicated cumbersome mess to me. Imagine the fun at the gas pumps.....
Yah. We double towed across part of Canada about 25 years ago when we were in the Air Force. It was tricky. Legal in some provinces, others not. We were posted From Ontario to Alberta. We travelled during off hours. Made it with no problem but never went over about 85 kmh. The second trailer was just a little utility trailer though. A car would be trickier and bigger.

Cheers.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back