Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Can you safely get fresh water from a stream with a pump?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
If ArmyOfSquirrels is after that type of water usage, like driving an hour or more into a remote area to camp for extended periods, then I suspect there would be better options rather than pumping stream water into his fresh water RV system IMHO. A hanging solar shower comes to mine, very inexpensive and takes up very little room. A empty barrel to haul in and store the pumped water in would also be a better option I would think. It would just make me uncomfortable pumping raw unknown untreated water from a stream or river into any RV fresh water system no matter if you are drinking from it or not.

If you take showing inside the RV out of the equation and just use your closed RV fresh water system for toilets and minor sink duties then a fresh water tank could actually last a very long time. It would be an interesting experiment.
I think I am talking to someone that thinks outside the box.

I've thought about getting a water bladder as well to store the water before treatment. I have the berkey filter for drinking water that I would be filtering through as well. A solar shower is not a bad idea either. The clear source states it filters small enough to remove viruses. The berkey can actually even filter medications out of the water as well as virus and everything else. I could rig up a 55gal drum to use the berkey filters and have a huge gravity filtered drum that would than be twice filtered could be heated like a pot on a fire built under it (dig out a trench under the drum, or before filling) Than it would be twice filtered and boiled. If I really wanted to get crazy could run a copper cooling coil to drip filter the steam even further. I want to be as self supporting as possible.

Camping World has a 45 gallon water bladder for $100. Fill that with you stream water or whatever, then hook that up to a 3-stage filter (5 micron > 1 micron > Carbon Block) > Reverse Osmosis > fresh water tank. Then put a UV system between the fresh tank and house lines.

That seems a lot better option to me that potentially contaminating my fresh tank with god knows what and should get you safe, drinkable water out of the majority of questionable sources without the risk of contaminating your tank.
E1D95AEB-D891-4F15-8647-482842C6B599.jpeg

Along that line if you get a bladder, this one is really nice. Compact as a T-shirt folded up. I have this for boondocking. And water transfer pump for a drill.

Along that line if you get a bladder, this one is really nice. Compact as a T-shirt folded up. I have this for boondocking. And water transfer pump for a drill.

That was the one I was looking at ?

Latest resources

Back