Forest River
RV Model
Salem FSX 270RTK-X
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2022 Ford Expedition Timberline
Fulltimer
Yes
This year I have been using mapping apps on my I-phone and running them through CarPlay on the F350 8" info screen. It has worked great. For some reason last Saturday and Sunday the mapping mistaking showed us about .5 mile off the interstate and started guidance to get back on, even though we were simply cruising down the interstate at 68 mph. It did this several times throughout the day, mostly on Sunday. I had to stop the mapping and restart it several times to correct our gps location. So now I don't trust running these iphone mapping apps though car play.

Thinking about looking into a commercial stand-alone trucker's GPS. I had a Rand RV GPS several years ago that worked okay but it took a dive and stopped working after about 4 or 5 years. Anyone running a commercial trucker's GPS. I'm seeing them for $400 to $700 with free lifetime updates.

Which app and confirm you were using a device with cellular which typically includes GPS.

At first I was using Google Maps and even switched to Apple Maps. It did it using both of them off and on.

I have seen this happen over the past years with a variety of iphones and over 10 years with a couple other gps devices. Not sure why it happens but have learned to just ignore it until it figures out where it really is again.

This isn’t a failure of CarPlay but rather the phone. CarPlay is just showing what the phone is reporting.

K, thanks. About a 2 hours driver yesterday and it did it again. Maybe the next iphone update will correct it.

Out of curiosity............ do cellular phones determine your location via satellite GPS, or, cell tower triangulation, or, some combination of both? Would one method be inherently more accurate than the other?
Is it possible the cartography is not up to date?

Latest resources

Back