Cedar Creek 311RL 5th Wheel
RV Length
35'
TOW/TOAD
F350 Super Duty
Fulltimer
No
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking at buying a new 5th wheel and need some advice. I have an F250 4x4 diesel short bed. The trailer I want to buy will be around 12,000lbs loaded (11,000lbs dry weight). It has about 2400lbs pin weight putting my cargo capacity just over 9000lbs. Max GVWR is 10,000lbs. My first question is the cargo capacity, is that too much weight to travel safely even though I know I will be under the legal limit?

My second question is related to my hitch. I currently have a 16k hitch in the truck and I know the weight of the trailer comes in under this but should I upgrade to a 20k hitch? Is there any advantage to upgrade my hitch?

Any advice is much appreciated. My last 5th wheel was about 9000 lbs and the pin weight was 1500 but my truck handled that very nice.

What you need to figure out is what the actual cargo carrying capacity is for your truck. I'm sure it isn't 9,000 pounds. How much does the sticker on the driver's door say it is? Then subtract the weight of you and any other passengers, hitch, and anything else you are going to put in the truck when you tow the trailer. The number you end up with is how much the pin weight can be. Also, forget the dry weight. It means absolutely nothing for you. That s the weight of the trailer before it arrived at the dealer. A lot of times it doesn't even include the battery. You will never tow it at its dry weight. The number you need to concern yourself with is the GVW.

Thanks for your reply. The sticker on the door has 10,000lbs as the GVWR as I mentioned. If I substract the weight of the truck, 7000lbs, my cargo capacity is 3000lbs. This hitch weight is 2400lbs. By the time my wife, the dog and myself get in the truck the cargo capacity is almost to the limit. So back to my first question, should this be a concern to travel safely or not?

And any advice on my hitch question, should I upgrade to a 20k hitch? Thanks!

Thanks for your reply. The sticker on the door has 10,000lbs as the GVWR as I mentioned. If I substract the weight of the truck, 7000lbs, my cargo capacity is 3000lbs. This hitch weight is 2400lbs. By the time my wife, the dog and myself get in the truck the cargo capacity is almost to the limit. So back to my first question, should this be a concern to travel safely or not?

And any advice on my hitch question, should I upgrade to a 20k hitch? Thanks!
I think you answered your own question here; "By the time my wife, the dog and myself get in the truck the cargo capacity is almost to the limit." A good rule of thumb is to stay at or below 80% of maximum to provide a safety cushion.

Too much trailer or not enough truck. You are in F-350 (minimum) territory here.

TJ

Thank you for explaining it TJ. I am not real articulate with a keyboard.

Isn’t PIN weight different than hitch weight calculated? I agree at the weight of that being a DRW.

Hitch weight is the weight that the trailer puts on the tow vehicle. Pin weight is just a way to it another way.

It has about 2400lbs pin weight putting my cargo capacity just over 9000lbs. Max GVWR is 10,000lbs. My first question is the cargo capacity, is that too much weight to travel safely even though I know I will be under the legal limit?
Hum! Pin weight 1 ton?

Latest resources

Back