• Commercial/Vendors welcome

CAT 6 versus CAT 18 LTE Modems

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
@Neal why the ban on Cat 18? Thanks for the heads up. Was considering that option.

I chose CAT18. If Verizon has banned them that has to be good! It’s been a great unit- I love their software. But in retrospect, I have trouble measuring the value of CAT18 in the generally Remote areas that many campgrounds are in. Perhaps a dual modem unit with cat 12 would’ve been a better value. But I use a nightHawk M1 router on the WAN port to get load balancing- So I’ve got some flexibility.

I just bought a Pepwave Max Duo and adjusted the TTL to 65. I have a Verizon sim in the pepwave and it used the 15GB data limit the hotspot has and then it's a hard throttle to 600Kbps. Even using TTL=65 didn't stop the usage from increasing or get around the throttling speed of 600Kbps. Have others had success doing this with Verizon?

I just bought a Pepwave Max Duo and adjusted the TTL to 65. I have a Verizon sim in the pepwave and it used the 15GB data limit the hotspot has and then it's a hard throttle to 600Kbps. Even using TTL=65 didn't stop the usage from increasing or get around the throttling speed of 600Kbps. Have others had success doing this with Verizon?
I have the Pepwave Maxtransit CAT18-No luck with Verizon, hard throttle at whatever your plan limit is. For me it was 22GB then bupkis. ditched them and would suggest either the 100GB T-mobile plan, or ATT IPad plan if you already have other lines with them.

There is nothing you will be able to do to get around a data cap. The TTL is not for data caps but to try to trick systems in differentiating between phones and routers and it's effectiveness is suspect and may be handled different among carriers.

I went with a Peplink Max Transit CAT-18 back in May of 2020. My home base is in SE NC, but, my intent was to travel throughout the US.
Due to the abundance of cell towers in the East, I suspect the CAT-18 & roof mounted antenna were a bit of over kill for this part of the country.
With COVID, we have decided to shelter in place for the immediate future. I use AT&T & Verizon.

Man, it seems like the move to CAT 6 was just recent. Difficult to keep up.

This has proven to be false.

Even though this particular rumor is false, it does appear that some of the carriers are restricting the modems being used on their "high limit" data plans. I currently have a 400 GB/mo AT&T plan from Millenicom and was told that I couldn't use my Netgear Nighthawk because it was "too good." Rather than the Nighthawk's Cat 16 modem with 4 or 5 level carrier aggregation I was forced to select specific router with a Cat 4 modem. My assumption is that advanced modems use more network resources and the carrier wants to be able to limit resources used on low-cost, high-data-limit plans.

Latest resources

Back