Forest River
RV Model
Salem FSX 270RTK-X
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2022 Ford Expedition Timberline
Fulltimer
Yes
Over the years I'm not sure how many truck lanes we have fueled in. Once and awhile the DW goes into the station while I am fueling. I always try to remind her to walk in front of all the commercial rigs and stay 15' to 20' out in front of them so they can see her.

At one of our fuel stops in KY this week I observed an incident that could have been fatal. The lanes were busy and the truck next to me finished about the time I was starting to fuel. The commercial rig in front of him had pulled forward and gone inside. The guy next to me waited about a minutes and then blew his air horn. I looked over the he was waiving his arms and obviously very upset because of being blocked. About thirty seconds later he laid on the air horn again. A few seconds after that he jammed his rig in reverse and went flying backwards. Now granted, there wasn't a rig behind him but there could have easily been a pedestrian walking behind him. Thank goodness the DW hadn't went inside for anything plus there wasn't any other folks walking behind him at that exact second.

I didn't think fast enough to get his company name and truck number or I would have called his dispatcher. Please be extremely careful when fueling at truck stops because not all of these guys/gals are actually "professional" drivers.

Latest resources

Back