Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

NightAngel

RVF Newbee
I was wondering in some states (I am domiciled in Texas), can you still get the special driver’s license (higher than a standard class c driver’s license) if it is required to drive that motorhome ( Class B for single vehicle GVWR > 26,000 or vehicle GVWR > 26,000 towing a trailer or another vehicle with GVWR < 10,000 or Class A for GCWR > 26,000 if towed trailer or vehicle GVWR > 10,000, usually a big travel trailer or fifth wheel) strictly for private use and not for any commercial or business purposes if you take the knowledge, vision, and driving test for that driver license and passed them with flying colors, but you failed your DOT medical exam because the only reason is blood pressure is well over 140/90? My blood pressure usually runs very high (I am also very overweight also and it is very hard to drop the pounds and have a family history of hypertension). Millions of people in the United States with high blood pressure legally drive their cars or personal vehicles and I never could understand how high blood pressure, in and itself, can make the roads any less safe. Not to mention, FAA requires blood pressure to be under 155/95 for a commercial airline pilot’s license (confused why DOT rules are tighter on blood pressure).

Last edited:
Some states do have additional requirements for driving either motor homes above a certain weight, length, etc as well as towables that meet the conditions the state has set.

It is not the full blown Commercial Driving License.

States differ in the requirements but it is an endorsement on your license that says they have tested you on driving the rig.

Big picture it is more like getting a motorcycle endorsement and having that on your driver license - different requirements but similar overall.

The rules vary by state as to what is required, if anything.

Commonly referred to as a CDL but it is not the federal exam, etc, just the rules for the state you are licensed in.

Some states do require a full CDL based on weight and lengths. For example Arkansas, California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Illinois... see this link
RV Driver's License Requirements - RV MILES
I can only speak af California, but I know that California does NOT require a CDL for RV's: it does, however, require a Non-Commercial Class A for large trailers, and a Non-Commercial Class B for large motorhomes. Neither of which are Commercial licenses. The only time you need a CDL to drive an RV is when you are driving that RV for commercial purposes, such as delivering it from the manufacturer to a dealer, or running a business out of it.

Same for Illinois. No CDL needed for personal use. You do need a Class B or even a Class A if towing a large trailer. Hopefully TX is similar where you don't need a CDL, just a non-CDL version for your own rig.

In Florida there is no special licensing, you can use your regular Drivers license that you use to drive your Corolla. Hopefully the Dealer has given you a good review of the coach systems before you drive the 40-50k lb. RV of the lot. :unsure:

Latest resources

Back