Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
Interesting response for Ford Dealer, but not unexpected. Lifetime fluid will not service. VW said the same thing and they were correct the Life of the Transmission was expected to last 80-100k per documents uncovered by some enterprising journalist.
I changed the VW fluid about every 50k and transmission was working fine when sold teh vehicle with 200K on the clock.

Back to my point, recently purchased a 2018 Ford Flex with 35k on it. Plan on flat towing vehicle.

As is my practice with used vehicle purchases, I plan on changing all fluid, brake, coolant, oil/filter, and potentially transmission. This just to have a base line. Ford dealership will do all but refused the transmission fluid change. They said that they have had too many issues with fluid change in a transmission. From their perspective I understand the potential risk.

Why use a dealership, all data makes it to CarFax history and FOMOCO fluids other than motor oil are fine. I happen to prefer Pennzoil Ultimate 5w-20 and WIX filters. I am sure FOMOCO blend would suffice but for the few dollars more it makes me happy:)

Thoughts on changing transmission fluid?? Waste of money or money well spent??

Depending on transmission. Does the transmission have a dip stick? Change it!
No dip stick? Have a quality shop check the level. Be sure they are qualified! My transmission fluid has a price of over 150us per quart. And a filter built into the pan. Todays price??? Last I knew 250us. No dip stick, and yes the wrong stuff and the transmission is toast.

Good advice Kevin. Thank you.

When in doubt “just read the instructions “. Happen to be flipping through the user manual and came across the maintenance section for Towing and ”severe duty” section.

Recommendation is to change transmission fluid every 30k.
70708FAC-9D5B-4628-BE20-86512ACC2BA8.jpeg

You could be a butt and show that to the service department, but anyway. I like 30K miles for sever duty too. My mentor from years ago once told me he had never seen a transmission fail from having the fluid changed too much. And for 50 years, transmission rebuilding in a one man shop was ALL he did. And was very good at it too.
Point of reference. Some years back the Corvette and BMW 7-series people put a transmission in those cars that they swore up and down had "lifetime fluid" and should never be changed. Bonus, the fluid absolutely HAD to be this special Esso, imported from Europe, made from extinct whales, super high priced fluid if the transmission had to be repaired. Or else.
Some years later....it turns out that that initial "lifetime" actually kinda sorta actually means about seven years. And gosh that Dexron VI fluid found reasonably priced on the shelf of EVERY parts store is actually....ummm, a very good substitute and works great. Ahem.

Just saying, things to keep in the back of your mind when talking to service people at dealerships.

Latest resources

Back