• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Changing the Future of NIRVC Service

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I was a bit dumbfounded to learn during my FPU that even the Newmar Service Center is not an authorized FL activity. I had a FL issue and had to take it to Elkhart to have it repaired. It wasn't repaired correctly, but I found a good place here locally once I returned home.

BTW, thank you @Brett Davis for the insight into FL's business model. That is very helpful.

I was a bit dumbfounded to learn during my FPU that even the Newmar Service Center is not an authorized FL activity.
I am pretty sure I was told by them that they were, but that doesn’t make it true or more likely, I misunderstood what they’d said and took it to mean that they were.

Newmar has freightliner reps in building 42 daily. They are using trucks similar to what Brett described. They have limited ability, but did reset my codes and repair rust on the frame and engine accessories. They also addressed a coolant leak and oil leak, both if which were determined to be caused by an over fill.

Anything more serious, or requiring more than 4 hours work must go to Elkhart. The 4 hour time frame was interesting to me, but is inline with the first statement of "more serious".

Newmar does chassis PM, but that is done by their staff, not Freightliner.

No recall work, including PDM, will be done at building 42. All recall work is required to go to a freightliner facility.

If you suffer from insomnia, my posts will be here to help.
Bahahahah. Thank you, Brett! I will admit after being at the hospital for 12 hours yesterday, I was unable to sleep. I started reading and I was sleeping like a baby. Thank YOU! But I really do look forward to finish reading this thread. ?

@Brett Davis @NIRVC ..does freightliner do recall work at your facilities?

Specifically there are 3 open recalls on my 2019 DSDP. Cummins fuel rail, PDM (on hold due to parts) and dash display fix for brightness.

The dash recall is a ecm software upgrade.

I am curious how much work freightliner will do at your facility.

I heard @ARD’s coach was just rescheduled for February?

@Brett Davis @NIRVC ..does freightliner do recall work at your facilities?

Specifically there are 3 open recalls on my 2019 DSDP. Cummins fuel rail, PDM (on hold due to parts) and dash display fix for brightness.

The dash recall is a ecm software upgrade.

I am curious how much work freightliner will do at your facility.
@redbaron I’ll respond as to our Lewisville, Texas location, because I understand from your prior post it’s our closest location to you.

Yes, your PDM and Dash recall can be performed by Freightliner onsite at our Lewisville facility. However, the fuel rail is so new we’ve actually sent our first two in Lewisville over to Cummins.

It would be difficult to post an exhaustive list of all the repairs Freightliner can perform at our Lewisville location, but in a quick, broad stroke, I’d tell you all air leaks, dash A/C, all minor repairs, and recalls.

As for all our other locations, after my telephone conversation with Jeff Sather today, I will defer my update until after Jeff gets to meet with his team this coming week to plot a course of action.

Onward,
Brett

@redbaron I’ll respond as to our Lewisville, Texas location, because I understand from your prior post it’s our closest location to you.

Yes, your PDM and Dash recall can be performed by Freightliner onsite at our Lewisville facility. However, the fuel rail is so new we’ve actually sent our first two in Lewisville over to Cummins.

It would be difficult to post an exhaustive list of all the repairs Freightliner can perform at our Lewisville location, but in a quick, broad stroke, I’d tell you all air leaks, dash A/C, all minor repairs, and recalls.

As for all our other locations, after my telephone conversation with Jeff Sather today, I will defer my update until after Jeff gets to meet with his team this coming week to plot a course of action.

Onward,
Brett
That is very impressive!! Well done sir, well done!

Good evening,

I thought I’d post a Freightliner update after my telephone conversation with Jeff Sather. Like myself, Jeff was dismayed to find out some of his dealers had slipped. As I expected, Jeff had a couple of ideas to remedy the situation, but needed to wait and meet with his team this coming week.

Then, a few hours later, I received an email from Jeff. Rather than summarize Jeff’s email, and run the risk of something being taken out of context, I thought I’d share Jeff’s email in it’s entirety.

Since coming into this industry I’ve noticed there are businesses who view coach owners as just a number on a spreadsheet, and then there are some who truly believe the coach owner pays their paycheck. I personally believe Jeff Sather, and the company he leads, falls squarely into the later category.

Onward,
Brett Davis

Hi Brett,

Sorry this email is so long. Service and support is near and dear to my heart. I am passionate about this subject as you will see below. After all, it is the customer who pays my salary.

I want to thank you for you call today and pointing out the thread on RVForums.com regarding Freightliner Custom Chassis service business model. I have many thoughts on this subject because as you know Service and Support of our customer is the only way we will be successful in the market.

As I mentioned, I have a lot of different thoughts regarding the thread on RVForums.com. Let me start with the business model of FCCC:

FCCC is fortunate to be part of Daimler Trucks North America (DTNA) as this brings us many advantages such as world class manufacturing processes, world class engineering systems and people, large global R&D expenditures to leverage and bring new technology to the RV market, significant buying power to keep costs down and many other items. On the service side, we are fortunate to share the same dealer network as DTNA, with over 450 parts and service locations in the US & Canada. None of our competitors has such a large support network. Also, key to the service experience is parts availability. FCCC shares with Daimler Trucks 10 strategically placed Parts Distribution Centers (PDC’s) in the US & Canada. This network of PDC’s has been built up over the past 8 years so that parts can be delivered from our PDC’s to over 80% of the 450 locations in less than 24 hours. Amazon promotes their 2 day shipping. More often than not, FCCC can do it in 1.

About the 450 locations: Why does FCCC insist on using one of our 450 locations? Answer: For the most consistent and best service experience possible. Each of our 450 locations is required to have the necessary tooling and trained service personnel to work on our chassis. Also, these locations are linked into the PDC’s for quick access to parts as well as the original build documentation for the specific chassis being worked on by the technician.

The infrastructure built around the 450 parts and service points is really important to provide the customer with the most consistent and best service experience possible. It is something that our competitors just don’t offer.

We recognize with 450 locations, not all are equal. Meaning a customer may have a great service experience or a poor experience depending on where they go and who they interact with during their visit. FCCC understands this and is working to improve the service experience across the country. Two ways we are doing this:

1. Oasis Dealer Network: An Oasis location has made a commitment and investment to support RV’s. These locations recognize that RV’ers require a different service experience than the truck owners. Many Oasis dealers have gone so far to build a separate service entrance and service bays for RV’s. They have electrical hookups and even camping spots to park your RV. Over the past couple of years, FCCC has been working with a few select dealers to establish new criteria to “fly the Oasis flag” at their location. Together with our dealers, we are raising the bar to be an Oasis dealer. This new criteria has resulted in 13 locations being dropped from Oasis, and 11 new locations added. Today we have 87 Oasis locations across the United States. We are targeting 100 to properly support the RV customers.

2. Support for the life of the chassis: As you know, FCCC stands behind every chassis we build. We believe in helping the customer throughout the life of that chassis. Most customers know and expect the RV Chassis to be supported through the warranty period. However, how many customers know or expect support after warranty? FCCC has invested heavily in customer support. We believe in this so much that we provide a 1-800-FTL-HELP (800 385-4357) call center, staffed 24/7/365 to assist our customers. This support and call center is there for the LIFE of the CHASSIS, not just the warranty period, or just the original owner. Our support is for the life of the chassis. The person on the other end of the phone is an FCCC employee, located in Gaffney. Some of our most experienced team members are the people answering the phone. On average, the person on the other end of the line has about 15 years of experience at FCCC.

There can be a lot of confusion and ambiguity when it comes to service and support. FCCC wants to bring clarity to the market and our customers through our actions, not just through our words. Hopefully my description above helps bring a little more transparency to our business model and how important service and support is to our company. The FCCC team is ready and available to assist all of our customers. We are just a phone call away.

Safe Travels
Jeff Sather

President and CEO
Freightliner Custom Chassis Corporation

We Embrace Our Customers and Deliver Memories – One Ride at a Time!

If you are not the addressee, please inform us immediately that you have received this e-mail by mistake, and delete it. We thank you for your support.

Latest resources

Back