RV Model
Wildwood XL 253 RLXL
RV Length
25 ft or so
TOW/TOAD
Chev 2011 Silverado Crew Cab LTZ
Fulltimer
No
In part of my maintenance routine and first time winterizing this trailer, I ran across the water heater anode rod. This trailer is a 2016 model, purchased used by us. As to its maintenance history, that is basically unknown. We are the 3rd owner.

Anyway, I wanted to drain the water heater, and to do so requires removing the anode rod. This requires a 1 1/16" socket. When the anode rod was removed the water gushed out along with a significant amount of white chalky-looking material. I presume this was lime that leached out of the water during the heating process.

The attached picture is of the old anode rod and the new anode rod. You can figure out which is which. Needless to say the old rod had been consumed. I used a long nozzle on my air hose to blow out the heater and remove as much of the white chalky-looking material as possable. I'd estimate at least 2 cups were removed. I then flushed out the heater with more water, all through the opening for the anode rod. Once I was satisfied that I had removed as much residue and water as possible, I installed the new anode rod. I did use Teflon tape on the threads to assure a good seal. It is all dry, new anode rod in place, and ready for next Spring camping. I also blew out the water lines with my air compressor at 40PSI and connected to the city water inlet. Once I was satisfied all the lines were void of water, I left the system pressurized with 40PSI of air.

Attachments

• Anode Rod.jpg
    Anode Rod.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 11
I change the rod in our travel trailer once a year. They don't cost that much.

I change the rod in our travel trailer once a year. They don't cost that much.
Oh, I agree. However, our trailer is a 2016 model and I have no history of past maintenance. Likely from what I've found, none. However, the trailer was lightly used. In fact, many of the factory labels and stickers were on the fixtures. In fact, when I was checking systems, I noted the smoke detector was not operational. Further investigation found the battery blocking tab had never been removed. Well, that got corrected promptly along with other routine maintenance items.

We do have to keep up with proper maintenance, all of us RV'ers. Sounds like you got a very good one on your RV.

We do have to keep up with proper maintenance, all of us RV'ers. Sounds like you got a very good one on your RV.
For the most part, I've done the maintenance on my airplane, our boats, and travel trailers. While in some instances where the FAA required a licensed and certified A & P, they did the maintenance. That cost lost of $$$$! But still, I took no chances and assured myself it was done and done correctly as it should and when it should.

Yes, I believe we got a 5-year-old travel trailer that was used very lightly. And it appears there was very little maintenance done in the previous 5 years. Things like original tires, original battery, wheels never pulled and lubricated, brakes never adjusted, and on and on. Lots of things are/were original. I've gone over it, inside and out, with a fine-tooth comb looking for things that just aren't right. I addressed those. In each of our trips this summer, I found zero issues to exist with the trailer and systems. I still have a couple of things to tweak to my satisfaction but that's just me. I don't and won't settle for "good enough".

Latest resources

Back