Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Charge controller question for lithium batteries.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
My suggestion is to find a manufacturer willing to educate you on the proper system for their battery chemistry and follow the recommendation.
Li Ion chemistries are much less forgiving than Lead Acid and mistakes, at best, will destroy the batteries quickly, or as many large manufacturers with legions of engineers are finding, this batteries will cause a very large and intense fire consuming anything near them.

Well guys I started replacing my lead acid batteries with the Lithium battery. Removed the old, clear the try and installed the new. BTW; got a deal on a 75amp inverter/charger Lithium compatible. So with everything less than $1k.

Attachments

• IMG_2709.jpeg
    IMG_2709.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2710.jpeg
    IMG_2710.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 12
Here is something from YouTube about lithium battery installs.

Just an update;
Even though I made the upgrade doesn’t mean I don’t stop listening and reading. One was changing out to Lithium could have an adverse effect on my SDC-107A Battery Control Center charging my chassis battery. It could burn out a relay. There was a recommended adjustment to to to adjust when the chassis battery gets charged from the control center while on shore power. I made that change.

I also read about over taxing the alternator when the chassis battery charges a very low house battery. Knowing this I can run my generator for a while while driving, but I also adding a battery isolation manager. It will cycle charging to prevent overheating the alternator.

Attachments

• IMG_0737.jpeg
    IMG_0737.jpeg
    988.9 KB · Views: 4
A suggestion, make sure you understand your electrical system before making changes.
Installed one of these BIM units only to find out it was not compatible with the RV electrical system.
Nothing wrong with this unit but does not work everywhere.

My RV has a networked BIRD, not a stand alone BIM.

A moderately priced education for me.

A suggestion, make sure you understand your electrical system before making changes.
Installed one of these BIM units only to find out it was not compatible with the RV electrical system.
Nothing wrong with this unit but does not work everywhere.

My RV has a networked BIRD, not a stand alone BIM.

A moderately priced education for me.
What do you mean "Not Compatible"? What did it do or not do?

What do you mean "Not Compatible"? What did it do or not do?
The BIM (Battery Isolator) is programed to bridge house battery and Chassis battery at certain voltages for a set time under specific conditions. These parameters are "hard coded". No networking connection.
From my understanding it works well for its intended purpose.

In the Newmar 2024 DSDP 4311 with LiFe option the BIRD ( a controller and separate bridging solenoid) is connected to the Silverleaf network, is programable to respond to various specs and reports data back to a central controller. Many data points are displayed on a screen in the DSDP living room.
The Bridging solenoid opens and closes based on commends from the controller using data from various inputs around the RV.

This BIRD setup on the DSDP is only on the LIFe option and other models with Silverleaf in the Newmar Lineup.

Latest resources

Back