Forest River
RV Model
Salem FSX 270RTK-X
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2022 Ford Expedition Timberline
Fulltimer
Yes
Between last summer (Utah) and heading to our winter spot this fall the coach threw the dreaded check-engine light 3 times. The first time a FL service center in southern Utah cleared it and said it was just a "ghost" signal and not to worry about it. The second time was just before my annual service up north and they said the code indicated a DEF tank sensor showed the temperature in the tank over 170 degrees. They claimed they didn't have a clue and suspect it could be some type of wiring issue. They cleared it.

When it came back on enroute to Florida I made an appointment at North Trail. Took it in today and the code reader/computer said it was the same DEF tank overheating issue. They replaced the rod type sensor that goes down inside the DEF tank which is what they said was causing the issue. No more check engine light.

I'm a little disappointed that my FL service center where I do my annual service wasn't smart enough to take care of this but I am certainly happy that North Trail recognized what the issue was and fixed it quickly. I'm also happy I am still within the FL/Cummins factory warranty because the charge for this was over $1,700.

Glad you got the problem solved. We've "been there, done that" with our 2014 Ventana LE. And, we may have stopped at the same FL service enter in Southern Utah (Premier Truck Center, St. George/Hurricane, Utah? They used to be Warner Truck Centers before Roger Penske bought the chain).

Fortunately, for us, they diagnosed the problem and changed out the sensor. IIRC, the bill was about $1,200 at that time...and, fully covered by the FL warranty.

TJ

Oh CRAP!!! I’ve been bit by the DEF bug!!!
now I know why some people avoid anything with a DEF system.

Here’s the irony...

WE GOT THE ERRORS AND ARE DOWN FOR THE COUNT IN SOUTHERN UTAH RV PARK!!

My codes indicate a bad sensor and Spartan is going to get back to me on Monday to see if they’ve got the parts for a Tuesday repair.

?‍♂️

I assume you got the repairs completed? Was it the complete DEF tank tower?

Latest resources

Back