Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Cummins 340 hp
TOW/TOAD
2013 Subaru Crosstrek - manual, flat tow
Fulltimer
No
when we bought our motorhome through a dealership, there were some minor damage on the back - the ladder was broken, and at certain angles, we could detect a minor difference in the paint in the rear. Long story short: about a year later, we found evidence of more fiberglass? body damage in that spot when washing underneath it. Granted, the damage was all minor and didn't extend beyond body.
But as it happens when we were doing the title paperwork, I did get the name and address of the previous owner. And I idly looked it up on Google Earth. I was pleased to see that the motorhome had its own little shed, but I also noticed there was no damage on the ladder.
During title paperwork, the worth 'death" caught my attention: I researched the name, and learned about a tragic incident unrelated to the motorhome. It probably explains why the motorhome was sold. However, I think that between the time of that tragedy, and the selling of the motorhome, someone borrowed it and damaged it, and covered it up, except for the ladder. It's not a big deal, but I was disappointed that this was not disclosed.
amazing what a little idle digging by an amateur can turn up, thanks to the www.
I might seem obsessive, but I wish I'd been MORE obsessive at the time of purchase and had asked for an explanation of that paint difference (btw, totally missed by our NRVIA inspector).
It might not have made a difference in our purchase, but..eh.

Wouldn't it be nice if there was an RV version of CARFAX? That system works because dealerships and body shops report things to the system. I know it's not 100% of every incident for every car, BUT, it sure seems to include a vast majority. Nothing like it in the Marine Industry either.
Just as a side note, it seems like an inspection would include looking underneath.
Let us know how we can help.
Ken

Wouldn't it be nice if there was an RV version of CARFAX? That system works because dealerships and body shops report things to the system. I know it's not 100% of every incident for every car, BUT, it sure seems to include a vast majority. Nothing like it in the Marine Industry either.
Just as a side note, it seems like an inspection would include looking underneath.
Let us know how we can help.
Ken
maybe he did, and he didn't see the fiberglass damage....it was a small spot, but... we were already aware of the paint difference, which is extremely hard to see.... it was the people who washed our motorhome who showed us the damage - they didn't want to be liable.
i'm not complaining about the motorhome it's been great for us.
I just feel a bit bad that people were dishonest.

This instance of the inspector not noticing or commenting on the prior damage adds to my list of suspicions about inspections. I've also heard fairly typical experiences about inspectors just listing observations, things any halfway vigilant person could do. They usually refrain from opining on the seriousness, implications to remaining service life or functioning of the wear or damage, and the potential costs and time it typically takes to repair.

There are some of us, and you know who you are, who would likely be more diligent, observant, and thorough in doing our own inspections than many inspectors who are paid many hundreds if not a thousand or more. Are inspections primarily for those who really have little clue about anything mechanical or who have a low aptitude for observation?

Even fluid testing: When buying a several year old car for $20 or $30K, how many feel it necessary to send an oil sample to some lab for testing? Maybe for diesels they're prudent. But for everything else?

Now let's hear from inspector fans.

This instance of the inspector not noticing or commenting on the prior damage adds to my list of suspicions about inspections. I've also heard fairly typical experiences about inspectors just listing observations, things any halfway vigilant person could do. They usually refrain from opining on the seriousness, implications to remaining service life or functioning of the wear or damage, and the potential costs and time it typically takes to repair.

There are some of us, and you know who you are, who would likely be more diligent, observant, and thorough in doing our own inspections than many inspectors who are paid many hundreds if not a thousand or more. Are inspections primarily for those who really have little clue about anything mechanical or who have a low aptitude for observation?

Even fluid testing: When buying a several year old car for $20 or $30K, how many feel it necessary to send an oil sample to some lab for testing? Maybe for diesels they're prudent. But for everything else?

Well, in our case, he did catch something that ended up being a complicated fix, and we were very glad he did. We had it fixed before we left the lot.

I think I would want to be side by side with the inspector to provide a biased second set of eyes.

If buying a used vehicle, why not just change all fluids instead of sending them for analysis? Cheap insurance.

Haven't used an RV inspector. I've had one home inspector who was really good and another who seemed good initially but turned out to be fairly disappointing.

Analysis will give you an idea of the state of the engine.

my $0.02 on fluid analysis. The value is in trends rather than one analysis. Granted if there is certain metals way out of spec that might be useful but generally you are looking for a trend Or large change from a base line.
You have to be on guard for contamination of samples as well.
Typically if there is a large amount of metal there are other symptoms that are present.
Recently I purchased a used car with relatively low miles for its age. Carfax helped with maintenance history and closely listening to the engine at cold start will tell you a lot about condition. Also understanding what are the typical issues with a particular engine is helpful. For instance the 3.5l Ford engine is susceptible to water pump problems and Torque Phaser issues. The problem with the water pump is that it is internal driven by the timing chain. When it leaks the coolant goes directly into the oil pan. If not caught timely the engine is destroyed.
Good to know what to look for🤓

When I bought my first RV, an '04 Newmar Mountain Aire 3778, I had an "RV experienced" close friend go with me to look at it. After, our close inspection, I negotiated a "Deal", dependent on the results of an Inspection. Found, what turned out to be an exceptional inspector, who gave me a 60+ page report, complete with pictures!
Some additional negotiation over a couple of repairs, bought the coach, & was exceptionally happy with it, & as a result ordered a new 2020 Newmar Canton Star, which has been an excellent coach, with 24,000+ miles.

Moral of the story.....in this case, the results were as good as the inspection conducted by a qualified Inspector!
When buying, one is making a substantial investment, be it new or used, gas or diesel; it is a lot of money!! Don't hesitate to find an Inspector, to help protect the investment, or potential mistake!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back