Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Cincinnati, OH - future RV owner....hopefully.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

motoracerx

RVF Newbee
Hi all.....I've always wanted an RV and now the time has come.

I"m looking at used, small-ish, Class A or C, and maybe a Class B if the price is right. The right price would be under $25k for whatever i buy.

The RV would be mainly for wknd trips, pulling an enclosed trailer with motorcycles and or a SxS. It would just be for 2 people.

The options are endless is seems, as i have been reading/researching for months now.

So to start things off, any reason why i shouldn't buy this? It's about 8 miles from me.

rv damon.jpg

Any reason you should not buy this one? Not necessarily, but there are some things you need to check on first.

What are the date codes on the tires? Details here: DOT Date Code & Tire Age Explained - Tires-easy.com Blog. If they are older than five years, they should be replaced, regardless of tread depth. Tires are not cheap, so build the cost into the pricing for the coach.

Batteries are a similar issue. You will have both "house" and "chassis" batteries; one set powers the interior of the coach the other one/set starts and supports the engine. If they have not been kept properly charged or are older than 5 years, they too will probably need replacement. Unless the dealer can provide documentation that they have been recently replaced, I would make replacing all batteries a condition of purchase.

With the 7K mileage, I would be suspicious that the coach has sat unused for significant periods of time. Low mileage is not always a good sign and I would want a qualified RV inspector (not associated with the seller) to go through the coach and check it out.

From the exterior condition, it appears that the coach has been well-kept (or, well prepped for sale). It could be a fine coach if it passes the above tests.

TJ

Any reason you should not buy this one? Not necessarily, but there are some things you need to check on first.

What are the date codes on the tires? Details here: DOT Date Code & Tire Age Explained - Tires-easy.com Blog. If they are older than five years, they should be replaced, regardless of tread depth. Tires are not cheap, so build the cost into the pricing for the coach.

Batteries are a similar issue. You will have both "house" and "chassis" batteries; one set powers the interior of the coach the other one/set starts and supports the engine. If they have not been kept properly charged or are older than 5 years, they too will probably need replacement. Unless the dealer can provide documentation that they have been recently replaced, I would make replacing all batteries a condition of purchase.

With the 7K mileage, I would be suspicious that the coach has sat unused for significant periods of time. Low mileage is not always a good sign and I would want a qualified RV inspector (not associated with the seller) to go through the coach and check it out.

From the exterior condition, it appears that the coach has been well-kept (or, well prepped for sale). It could be a fine coach if it passes the above tests.

TJ
Thanks TJ......I am CDL holder and my motorcycle racing keeps me very aware of date codes on tires. I won't buy new tires for my bikes if they are over a year old. They only last 1 wknd or 80 miles on the track, but they are very important for their short life.

I once had a boat survey performed on a boat that was in New York city.....Cost me about $700 but saved me $20k. So i am familiar with the advice of having an RV inspection done as well. I need to start researching those services in my area.

Double check the towing capability. Most short, gas coaches are under 5000lbs. And will struggle on hills with that.

Double check the towing capability. Most short, gas coaches are under 5000lbs. And will struggle on hills with that.
Yup, about 5000 towing capacity....That seems to be the norm due to the long overhang of the frame behind the rear axle. I could make the 5000 lb limit work.

So i went and looked at the Damon Daybreak 2740....The generator was running when i got there and apparently had been running for about 4 hrs. The lot forgot to turn it off when they showed it earlier today. The rig was ice cold, freezer cold, everything looked new on the inside. Tires are new with practically 0 miles, although date code was Dec 2018.. They are definitely new. Undercarriage rust free, brake lines, fuel lines, bushings, exhaust...all look good. Workhorse chassis with the 7.4 Vortec, 4 spd auto.

I didn't spend much time there, it was already after hours, but first impressions are good. I really like the floorplan. I like that its less than 12' tall to the top of the AC unit' and has the curved front end. Aluminum costruction, fiberglass front clip.....

Damon seems to be well reviewed as well.

Latest resources

Back