RV Model
Triumph
RV Length
Chassis
Ford
Engine
Fulltimer
No
My wife & I are rv newbies, we bought a Triumph 31T. Before we take it out I’d like to go over some of the appliance operations. Question: Connecting to city water. I read to use a water filter and pressure regulator, can you leave the faucet on and open the drain line so the tanks don’t fill?
Does anyone live in Phoenix that I could get in touch with?

I never leave the black drain open. You will get several opinions on the grey. I will leave the greys open until a couple of days before dumping the black. I want galley and shower water to flush out the sewer line after dumping the black. I never stay more than 3 weeks in any location. Just me.

Question: Connecting to city water. I read to use a water filter and pressure regulator, can you leave the faucet on and open the drain line so the tanks don’t fill?
Let's clarify what you're asking. Are you referring to JUST the fresh water supply? If so, you should be able to open the incoming city water valve, and not worry about the tanks filling. There's supposed to be a check valve built into your water pump that prevents that from happening. If your tanks are filling with the city water pressurized, then either the plumbing is incorrect, or (more likely), the check valve in the water pump is bad.

The filter and regulator is a very good idea, as one can't guarantee that where you're hooked up has a steady and reasonable pressure. Additionally, you can't be assured as to the cleanliness of the supply.

Roger

You know you're just getting opinions right??? So that's my legal disclaimer.

I personally never keep connected to the grid! However I have a times been in parks.

I rely on the house equipment to supply water, so I turn off at hose bibb when not filling the tank. What that does for me is:

Protects my plumbing from pressure issues.
Continually refreshes water in the fresh water tank.
Removes any concerns about flooding due to plumbing failures.

Filters? Yes I use one while filling the tank! I don't waste my time with sediment Filters because they don't offer any benefit, (in my opinion). I have not had my carbon block filters plug up due to sediment. Carbon block filters remove most of the common poisons found in our modern water supplies. With of course the exception of fluoride! I use other filters to remove most of that! And short of a water soften minerals are not removed.

I see no problem leaving the gray open. I use sink strainers so no solids find their way into the tank.

Black? Never leave the black tank open! Should I repeat that? Never!!!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back