RVF Regular
RV Year
RV Make
Forest River
RV Model
Heritage Glen LTZ 337BAR 5th Wheel
RV Length
39' 7"
I’d like to hear some pros and cons of living full time on the road with either a Class A diesel pusher or a 5th wheel. We’re in the planning stages now and would like to hear what folks have to say about the two choices that I listed. Thanks for your input.

From what I've heard from others a 5th wheel is advantageous if you're sitting at a destination for an extended period of time, i.e. 3-6 months, or longer. You don't have to worry about the engine not being used, etc. or give up that space that could be living space.

I think it is a matter of taste and preference. I personally prefer a MH under all conditions. I like not having to get out on the road to enter the living space, and owning one was a life's dream.

On the other hand a fifth wheel gives you more living space and you have a vehicle to get around with. Look around and spend time in both. See which you like best.

Another factor in your choice may be finances if you don't already have a truck capable of pulling the fifth wheel.

I like the fifth wheel and probably spend more time outside than when using the MH. In the day of no slides setup was easier in MH than with the fifth, With slides and automatic leveling systems I don't know.

However you should know your rig will brake down. If you don't fix everything yourself it will sit in a shop somewhere, sometimes for longer than desired time. At these times it is better the fifth. I seldom disconnect the fifth when traveling, I leave that for later unless I plan on staying for extended stays(2 or 3 days).
I still need to pull the chairs out and unfold them, pull the grill out, set the antenna up, no matter what kind of RV.
with the MH if the better half needs a potti break you just say don't get sea sick and continue on. with a fifth you stop at a pull out and pull out the steps to get the job done. I need more of those breaks, so I gota stop anyhow?. I got it down to about 20 min.to move with the fifth so I am happy.

Latest resources

Back