Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

gfmucci

RVF Regular
A couple of questions for class A toy hauler folks who prefer to carry their extra vehicle inside their Class A instead of a Toad.

* Other than motorcycles, is your "toy" a street legal vehicle that you feel comfortable taking to the nearest town?
* What street legal vehicles with 3 or 4 wheels and less than 10' long will fit in a class A toy hauler and comfortably go at least 50 mph?
* What was your rationale for preferring a toy hauler rather than towing a vehicle?

The obvious trade off is loss of space in the coach versus convenience of not towing.

Just looking at options and reasons for preferences at this point.

After a little bit of research to determine what would meet my criteria for a "toad substitute" in a toy hauler, it is this:

A used Can Am 3-wheeler. It is around 9.5 feet in length (just below the 10' "garage" length limit), is street legal, can travel at least 40 -50 mph, and a several year old model sells for less than $8K. It is a bit smaller than a Smart car but more stable and substantial than most motorcycles. https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2011-Can-Am-Spyder®+RS+SE5-5026008557

The two downsides are there is very limited cargo capacity, and no weather protection. But it would be handy to tour outside the campground, to pick up a few essentials and not feeling campground bound without moving the big rig.

And most importantly, nothing to tow.

I think you'll have a heck of a time finding many a enclosed "car" that's that short. The Smart fortwo is the only one that comes to mind at 106.1" long but you'll get protection, heat & A/C. Other options are largely motorcycle based and could be less comfortable on a quick jaunt 20 or so miles down the interstate in inclimate weather. Some of the Can-Am spyders have a windshield and quite a bit more wind (& weather) protection than the more stripped models but they're also heavier and more expensive. In a crash situation, a Smart car would almost certainly be the safest option.

If safety and driving in the rain are primary concerns, you are correct - a motorcycle-type vehicle would be a no go.
Smart car is a bit shorter than 9 feet but weighs a bit over 2,000 lbs. That is beyond the 1,500 lb. weight limit of the Thor gas class A Outlaw garage.

Can Am will fit and is well within the garage weight limit.
  • Can-Am Ryker: ~620 lbs.
  • Can-Am Spyder: ~1,000 lbs.
  • Harley-Davidson Tri Glide: ~1,200 lbs.
  • Honda Goldwing Trikes: ~1,100 lbs.
  • Piaggio MP3 500: ~550 lbs.
  • Yamaha Niken GT: ~600 lbs.
Everything is a compromise of some sort. Personal priorities rule decisions.
I don't envision any extensive road trips with the garaged vehicle, and certainly not in inclement weather. I envision two primary uses: 1) Trips of convenience to the nearest grocery, hardware store or Walmart, and 2) Trips into the nearest cutesie small towns just to poke around.

The Piaggio is a bit smaller, lighter, and I guess less power than the Can Am.
The Niken really looks weird, like two motorcycles driving down the road.

What other options have you considered?

The 1500lb weight limit is new data to those playing along. Given the above options the Spyder would be my pick. FWIW, I don't particularly like them but I'm quite comfortable on two wheels and prefer leaning into a curve vs. hanging on for dear life. The Goldwing trike would be an aftermarket accessory detracting from an otherwise great bike. The Harley was designed by lawyers and marketed by executives; pricey and iffy reliability. The Piaggio has a fraction of the motive power verses the others which might be fine if you've never experienced the power (& more importantly torque) the others have, especially the big ones. If you have, it will likely disappoint.

The 1500lb weight limit is new data to those playing along. Given the above options the Spyder would be my pick. FWIW, I don't particularly like them but I'm quite comfortable on two wheels and prefer leaning into a curve vs. hanging on for dear life. The Goldwing trike would be an aftermarket accessory detracting from an otherwise great bike. The Harley was designed by lawyers and marketed by executives; pricey and iffy reliability. The Piaggio has a fraction of the motive power verses the others which might be fine if you've never experienced the power (& more importantly torque) the others have, especially the big ones. If you have, it will likely disappoint.
I have a friend here (Ocala) that has a 3-wheel Honda, a big sucker bike with all the bells. I asked him about the Can Am. He said the biggest difference why he doesn't like the Can Am is comfort. In the Honda its sitting in a big, lean-back comfy seat. In the Can Am he said it is more leaning forward like in a crotch rocket. I don't know how true that is, but it is an interesting comparison.

Latest resources

Back