Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

roodee

RVF Newbee
just signed up, and wondering if i'm missing it or not available ...class B+ models ...smaller class C
<27 ' ?!?!? without slides ...
recommendations thoughts etc ...

steer me there folks ! :rolleyes:;):rolleyes:

Hi Roodee,
While class B+ doesn't actually exist from a technical viewpoint, marketing has pushed the nomenclature.
What you may be asking about is truly a smaller class C. You still might not see much in a C forum about them.
( red headed step child?)
Having just ordered what you described in your post I can understand where you are coming from.
For me a "B+" is just a means to more accurately describe features of a class c that you are asking about.
We are an older couple who simply don't need a 30' class c with a big cab over bunk, or want one.
We currently own a truck camper with that bunk, albeit in a N-S queen configuration which is actually better than what most C's will give you.
But climbing into not only the camper but literally crawling into bed has gotten old for us. For that reason we did not also have any desire for a corner bed.
If you enjoy crawling over your better half in the middle of the night while trying not to wake them, more power to you.
The same is also true for trying to "make up" a bed that you cannot get to on 3 sides, but can only access the end.
All those cabinets over that same bed, guess what you are crawling AGAIN.
You won't find a queen size island bed in a smaller coach unless it has a slide out that you are forced to use in order to sleep.
We did not want to construct a bed, rely on hinged mattresses or climb a ladder to get in it. ( or deal with the slide)

The nonexistent B+ was what fit the bill. We are fine with twin beds of decent size ( no fighting over blankets when the temps drop)
This unicorn also provides with a dry bath and usable tank sizes. In essence it gives us something equal to our larger cab-over truck camper in functionality without giving knees a workout. Plus we get away from the wet bath. It will still be slightly less length than our crewcab dually with camper and also a bit less tall.
We have been in our TC for over 15 yrs and had another smaller version before it. If we weren't happy we wouldn't have kept it so long.
Going SMALL:
One priceless moment was in RMNP going up the pass and having it all with us. The pass wasn't fully open yet so many people in cars stopped just before the ridge to look at the snow cover and take pictures. They were all freezing. We simply went inside, got a snack, jackets and a drink before taking photos.
The vehicle length limit on the road was 25' if I remember correctly.
You can miss out on a lot if the RV is too big, and we became well aware that less is often more.
Parking at trail heads to do a hike is so much easier if you aren't gigantic. Plus people waiting at fuel stops aren't pissed that you are blocking the lane and you were not forced to stop at a pricey truck stop to fill up. Don't need a toad either.
In my mind the B+ is about as close to having the benefits of a B without the truly cramped quarters and juggling that goes with them.
Adventurous without the discomfort. Get your cake and eat it too.

If you are curious... 2022 Coach house 220 TB. You can't find hardly any used and no they aren't cheap. Used models sell fast at higher prices.
There are other brands and the B+ idea is getting more popular even if it isn't for everyone.
Good luck looking for Unicorns.
DB

thanx .... (y)

the coach house site , pretty informative...

and tho i like what i've seen w/ "island beds"
( regency ultra, to name 1)
the variations offered in the C H is enticing !

3 units keep poppin up as i look around

all are available with an "island bed" which from viewing online i find appealing
do Not have slides... which is a choice for sure and
are available on the sprinter chassis

Unity U24 IB (y)
Coach House 240DQ (y)
Regency Ultra 25IB (y)

was hoping that owners of these, or a similar type model i have not come across yet :unsure: might have some input ?

t y

Roodee,
I looked at the Regency models at last Feb's Tampa show.
I had pretty much determined already that a MB sprinter based B+ was not the direction I would head.
Too much cost for a chassis that I had serious doubts about towing my boat adequately.
They are also very expensive to fix when things go wrong assuming that you can find someone to work on it and get parts.
Keep in mind my GMC dually duramax with cabover TC (its 3500 lbs of cargo wet) really pulls great and I did not want to be worried about merging into speeding traffic pulling a boat. Especially since I have no issues now. Got spoiled I guess. Somehow asking 3 to 4 liters motors to regularly pull around 15 - 16 K lbs just doesn't make sense.
The MB's have some torque and will tow lighter loads, but they simply cannot compare to larger engines that are truly made for that task.
So that left me with other choices. The transit chassis seems to sit too low and the larger the overhang the greater the problem. The Ecoboost twin turbo six provides fair power but quite frankly has to work awfully hard under boost to produce it. I really liked the floor plan of a model on that chassis, but its lighter GVWR and lack of a spare tire to keep weight down just cinched the NO on that model. ( always look at the cargo capacity) Some coaches are pretty much at GVWR when full of fuel, water and passengers!
The fact that I could not see my rear end in the driver seat of either the MB or transit for a 10+ hour drive was just one more reason to look elsewhere.
I wasn't going to buy an Class C to only have it be a park queen, that defeats the purpose.
So for me it was a process of elimination. Regency looked nice at first glance, but when I started looking closer I saw things that I did not believe presented the brand in the best light. Disturbing to see flaws on models that are trying to represent the brand in a major RV show display. Maybe most people are so caught up in the moment they don't take notice. I have adopted a stance that since I can afford something nicer, I DON'T want to be repairing a bunch of nuisance items from the start.
I am not saying that Regency is a bad brand, but given my choices and what I require it was not for me.
I wholeheartedly admit that my selection of an E-450 based "B+" is not going to be for many people.
We also looked at Phoenix Cruiser. Nice coach, fairly solid build but the twin beds we were looking for were TOO short for my wife, let alone me.
This is the biggest problem with making selection of any RV. You really have to do your homework and consider not only the floor plan but a wide variety of things and how they do or don't suit your purpose. You may not find anything that fits perfectly, but you can certainly eliminate those that just won't work.
I guess you don't have to be as picky as I am, but I constantly hear about people changing RVs because what they thought would be a good choice just wasn't.
FYI >Stepping into a shower and feeling the floor flex gives you a pretty good impression on the build quality. I only weigh about 185...
Since we had our TC for 15 years and been happy with it for the most part I think my selection process works. WE just got old.
I suggest you do the Ben Franklin decision process... make a list, fine tune it, then fine tune it again and do the yes / no on each prospective model.
At least you can convince yourself YOU made the decision and you weren't Sold it.

Oh, and last but not least find out the size of that island bed. Too many times the floor plan just doesn't represent reality. It can be short, narrow or funky shaped and require a special mattress. Good Luck.
DB

Here is some of the info gotten when looking at MB chassis'd RVs
Take the internet with a grain of salt, but positive ( bragging) claims need the same salt.
Are Mercedes Sprinter vans expensive to maintain?

The cost in maintaining and repairing these vehicles is a staggering average of ten cents per mile. ... If you plan to use your Sprinter as a true commercial vehicle, and plan to drive more than 50,000 miles a year, it would serve you well to look at the Ford Transit or Ram ProMaster.Apr 24, 2015
How much is an oil change for a Mercedes Sprinter?
The average cost for a Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 3500 oil change is between $243 and $258. Labor costs are estimated between $55 and $69 while parts are priced at $188
this from

Mike Wendland of RVlifestyle:​

"(DEF). My Sprinters needed a jug or two every 4,000-6,o00 miles, at about $25 a fillup.

the Sprinter has more sheer pulling power. But it is ponderous when taking off from a dead stop.

AAA says the national average for gasoline is $2.17 a gallon. For diesel, it's $2.43

On a practical basis, diesel is a little more difficult to find. I can't tell you how many times I have pulled off a highway to get fuel only to find diesel not available at the service stations at that exit."
this all makes me wonder if the commotion about Sprinter chassis is as important, but maybe it is simply more a case of availability. Transit may be giving the Sprinter some more competition now, but ultimately it is all consumer choice. I also read that the Sprinter reliability has improved in the last couple years and they were only rated 2 out of 5 and now are up to 3 of 5. That doesn't suggest that they are necessarily bullet proof. But NO chassis is. I guess what is important is how is lives up to the expectations in any given application. I can't say I have ever been a fanboy of any particular brand and I have experienced both good and bad from a lot of them.
But it always helps to be informed. At first glance the cost of ownership of the MB chassis may offset any advantages in fuel mileage. Such has been the case with just about every diesel engine vehicle since the EPA forced a lot of emissions controls on them. They aren't as problem free and routine maintenance costs have gone up.
Is the cost per mile worth the diesel choice? People with diesel powered pickup trucks seem to believe that unless they need a LOT of towing power, maybe not.
Given most RVs probably never see 10k miles a year, and are not kept for more than 10 years...
Another anomaly: as a diesel delivery vehicle that doesn't see a lot of highway ( def regeneration) but instead is short hops with a lot of start / stops just maybe the sprinter is going to be very problematic for the fleet owners. ( think particulate filter changes). Just maybe Amazon will be ordering a LOT more electric vans in the future.
My diesel truck ( non DEF) has around 75k on it, 99% highway and probably 25% of that towing besides the TC in the bed. It has been reasonably trouble free for its 16 yrs old. Newer models are hard pressed to match that. Best MPG it ever got empty was around 16. But that is not why I have it.
DB

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back