Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

JudyShafar

RVF Newbee
We recently purchased a 2021 Coachman 259fkds. We love it. We are on our first real out of state trip. It is supposed to go below freezing the next two nights, high 20’s for a short period, 40-50’s during the days. From what I have read we have a heated underbelly. So I think we are safe not to have broken pipes, right??

Also, the A/C is electric and the heat is on the same thermostat, so we assume that the heat is electric also, am I correct?

We are learning… thanks for any advice you can provide!

The heat is more likely to be propane. Did you receive an orientation of how things work?

You should be ok not to freeze up with those temps as long as it does get back in the 40 or 50 temp range during the day. I'm guessing here but you probably have tank heaters, not necessarily a heated underbelly and make sure they are turned on.

I’m more concerned you are not sure if you have a gas furnace. You probably do. It will be controlled by the same thermostat as the AC.

The heat is more likely to be propane. Did you receive an orientation of how things work?
No, we bought the rv from a large rv dealer but it was 6 months old & they sold it to us as a resale. They did go over the basics. But we are just now (4 months later) are getting the chance to use it, so it seems like we are learning as we go. It appears that the furnace is gas but runs off the same electric thermostat as the a/c. We did find in our brochure that we have a heated underbelly and seems we did fine overnight with heat on and temps got down to 28 for a couple hours and 50’s during the day. Thanks for your input!

You should be ok not to freeze up with those temps as long as it does get back in the 40 or 50 temp range during the day. I'm guessing here but you probably have tank heaters, not necessarily a heated underbelly and make sure they are turned on.
We did find in our brochure that we have a heated underbelly and seems we did fine overnight with heat on and temps got down to 28 for a couple hours and 50’s during the day. Thanks for your input!

I’m more concerned you are not sure if you have a gas furnace. You probably do. It will be controlled by the same thermostat as the
You are right, we bought the rv from a large rv dealer but it was 6 months old & they sold it to us as a resale. They did go over the basics. But we are just now (4 months later) are getting the chance to use it, so it seems like we are learning as we go. It appears that the furnace is gas but runs off the same electric thermostat as the a/c. We did find in our brochure that we have a heated underbelly and seems we did fine overnight with heat on and temps got down to 28 for a couple hours and 50’s during the day. Thanks for your input!

Your thermostat gets its 12v dc from the furnace, this also runs the AC which is controlled by 12v dc but operates on 120v ac. 12 volts dc rules all in the camper, 120 ac and propane do the heavy lifting, when 12v dc tells them to.

Latest resources

Back