Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

rarnold50

RVF Newbee
We're planning an RV trip to fish in Yampa, Co and Leadville, Co from Montana. We have a 35' 5th Wheel towed by a Chevy Silverado 2500. We have a route mapped that includes Hayden, Co down to Leadville then North to Yampa Co and back through Hayden. We're wondering about the safety of CO-91 South toward Copper Mtn / Leadville AND US Hwy 24 North from Leadville toward Yampa, Co. It appears there are some sharp switchbacks & potentially steep grades. We are experienced, but cautious and would appreciate feedback from anyone who has traveled any part of this route..

24 and 91 are both reasonable between Leadville and I-70. I cannot speak for north of the interstate.

What do you mean by reasonable? What % grade and are there steep dropoffs?

It’s Colorado in the Rockies… 24 is pretty mellow by our mountain standards, as is that part of 91. I don’t recall any drop offs that made me uneasy, but then I’m very used to mountain driving.

As for percentages, I’d guess max grades in the 6-8% range. If your tow vehicle is decent, I don’t think you’ll have any problems.

You might want to check out Mountain Directory West. They compiled information on a number of road passes. Elevation, grade percentages, how many miles, sharp curves, escape ramp locations, etc. It's all those yellow caution signs in one place so you can know ahead of time. There are printed and electronic versions. Oh, we're not affiliated or anything, just a fan.

Here's something I found on CO DOT. It doesn't list the miles long, but it does list Elevation and max grade %. You're looking for Fremont Pass and Tennessee Pass.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back