Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

docque

RVF Newbee
I own a GD 231RK and was looking into other hitch options. I was actually looking at a Propride hitch for it.

The questions I have:
Does it really tow like they say?
It is much better than the ones that are cheaper?
Do you have experience with any other hitches you can compare it to?

The reason ask is Wife and I are not much into large fifth wheels and think staying in the 30ft range is good. I would like to go down the road a bit easier which I think you know what I mean.

I do not recommend Propride or Hensley hitches. They are very expensive, very heavy and difficult to use, but the main problem is they do not contribute to your safety. They do eliminate trailer sway and that will make some people feel more secure, but in the process they make your tow vehicle more susceptible to oversteering and jackknifing. The only way to address both trailer sway and jackknifing are to have a large enough tow vehicle for the size trailer you want to tow.

I do not recommend Propride or Hensley hitches. They are very expensive, very heavy and difficult to use, but the main problem is they do not contribute to your safety. They do eliminate trailer sway and that will make some people feel more secure, but in the process they make your tow vehicle more susceptible to oversteering and jackknifing. The only way to address both trailer sway and jackknifing are to have a large enough tow vehicle for the size trailer you want to tow.
I add! No hitch will eliminate sway! And vehicle capacity is important, it too can not compensate for an improperly loaded trailer.
A properly loaded trailer behind a to small tow vehicle is safer than a poorly loaded trailer behind a Mack.

I am just trying to look at my options and was thinking of getting one. My Truck is more than capable of towing my RV. The 80% rule is what I heard but I made sure I was way under that. I am about 4500lbs under max towing and way under the GVCWR. I weight the tongue before I even hitch it up. I have weighed the trailer full before heading out and we are no where near the GVWR of the TT. As for CCC of the truck, I built the truck based on my specs. Bare bones so my CCC is way up there.

It may just be that I have a cheaper hitch and it is not that great. It is an E2.

I use a Curt TruTrack 4 point system and Yes, it makes a huge difference in how it tows in my experience (just wanted to mention I don't know about the brand you stated because I have never used that brand, but Curt works great). I just have a small SUV with a towing capacity of 6500 lbs., and my trailer loaded up weights about 4300 lbs with my gear. That is hitting 66% of my tow capacity, and it calculates to 86% of my Combined GVWR SUV+Trailer. Without it, the SUV doesn't handle as smoothly and even 25 mph wind or passing by 18 wheelers create interested moments to say the least. With it installed it pulls straight and smooth and big rigs passing is a non-issue. I follow my manufacturer's recommendations and drive 65 mph max and have not had any issues at all. It is easy to setup, just get a piece of paper and a measureing tape, load your trailer and fill the tanks to the level you expect to be traveling with and then hook up your truck and begin the process to get it perfect. I also like that it perfectly leveled my SUV so there is no sagging, and once I drop the trailer at the campsite I just have to remove two pins for the bars and I leave the hitch in (because it is heavy). I then store the two bars in the trailer cargo hold. The only time I take off the hitch is when I plan on hitting some offroad trails (because its large and can get you hung up on ledges).

1675345268948.png
1675345315115.png

1675346667260.png

1675346814907.png

Last edited:
Saw the title and though maybe someone was comparing their past relationship with their current one. . . :)

Latest resources

Back