• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

dtrombley

RVF Regular
Good morning all,
We have a 2017 GD Imagine travel trailer which we purchased used in March of 2020. During this trip we have noticed a large amount of condensation on the inside windows. We live in Washington (Yes lots of rain) and although I have been on the roof many times and filled all the cracks in the sealant, I did not cover it this winter. We did put air dry tubs in three places this time. So,, my head tells me we have a leak, however I have been all over the inside and cannot find moisture anywhere. No wet carpet, no leaking lines, and no bubbles in the wallpaper and no indication of past leaks. Also, the further south we get on this trip, the less condensation on the windows (More sun :) ), 4 days out and it is less than half as bad as when we left home. Can this possibly be from the weather or moisture (Humidity) in the air ? I am now starting to worry that somewhere in one of the walls we have developed a leak that has not yet migrated through.
Any suggestions or places to look would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You,
Dale

Good morning all,
We have a 2017 GD Imagine travel trailer which we purchased used in March of 2020. During this trip we have noticed a large amount of condensation on the inside windows. We live in Washington (Yes lots of rain) and although I have been on the roof many times and filled all the cracks in the sealant, I did not cover it this winter. We did put air dry tubs in three places this time. So,, my head tells me we have a leak, however I have been all over the inside and cannot find moisture anywhere. No wet carpet, no leaking lines, and no bubbles in the wallpaper and no indication of past leaks. Also, the further south we get on this trip, the less condensation on the windows (More sun :) ), 4 days out and it is less than half as bad as when we left home. Can this possibly be from the weather or moisture (Humidity) in the air ? I am now starting to worry that somewhere in one of the walls we have developed a leak that has not yet migrated through.
Any suggestions or places to look would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You,
Dale
Do you heat with a catalyst Propane heater? Those make all kinds of condensation.

I haven’t noticed condensation, but I always keep one or two small dehumidifiers running. Cooking, showering, breathing all add moisture to the air. Depending on the size of the rig, Damp Rid is not enough. Single pane windows May also experience more condensation.

AbdRahim has it right. I would get a or some dehumidifiers until you figure out where the water is coming from. If you have the "weather barrier" underneath the trailer, It can actually hold moisture in if any has permeated to the underside from wet road travel.

I haven’t noticed condensation, but I always keep one or two small dehumidifiers running. Cooking, showering, breathing all add moisture to the air. Depending on the size of the rig, Damp Rid is not enough. Single pane windows May also experience more condensation.
Thank you for your experience, I was thinking about a dehumidifier when we get back home but of course remain concerned about the possibility of a leak that is not visible.

Thank you for
AbdRahim has it right. I would get a or some dehumidifiers until you figure out where the water is coming from. If you have the "weather barrier" underneath the trailer, It can actually hold moisture in if any has permeated to the underside from wet road travel.
Thank you for the information, I never even thought of moisture coming from the underside. We have a lot of wet roads in Washington that may contribute to my problem

A friend of mines floor rotted out because of that. 4 year old trailer. Out of Warranty.

There are moisture detection meters, with which you can probe the walls, ceiling and floors to see if there is hidden moisture. If the humidity is high outside you will need a dehumidifier.

I have a multi-sensor thermometer/hygrometer, keeping track of humidity in the MH and in the compartments with tanks.

The outside humidity here has been 55_85% all of the time. Two small humidifiers, plus two Damp Rids, can barely keep it at 50% or less inside.

At home I have a 14 gal humidifier, to get it up to 45-50%.

You might try a moisture meter to see if there is a leak

Latest resources

Back