Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Vicrider

RVF Newbee
Hello I'm not sure where to begin and don't want to just ramble. My husband and I are considering an RV a Newmar Canyon Star since they are the toy haulers. We are both retired. We both have motorcycles (hence the need for a toy hauler). We ride A LOT and have ridden all across the US from our home in East Tennessee. My husband has been wanting for the last couple years to get an RV so we can go someplace for a couple months in the winter (not that East Tennessee winters are terrible), for more warmth to still be able to get out and about and to also do some more traveling and still be able to take our motorcycles and tow a car too if we choose. We would like to buy used...not too new, because of the price. I guess my questions are more about how does a person know if they are making a mistake? lol! I've always thought buying an RV would be equal to having a white elephant...when it comes time to not RV anymore, you can't get rid of it. Someone convince me this isn't the way it is... I've also heard that more and more people are camping and RVing and the campgrounds are virtually filled up unless you give months advance notice and sometimes we do things spontaneously with only a couple weeks knowledge ourselves that we want to go somewhere. In the past, we'd just rent a motel. But since an RV requires more of a campground unless you're boondocking, then spontaneous may not work. Especially in the popular places like National Parks which is on our list of places to hit. The feeling that if you don't constantly use your RV then your paying on something that doesn't get used THAT much to account for the cost? For me...the fact that they only get about 10mpg! For people who travel more distance rather than just local campgrounds maybe 500 miles away...that is a ton of $$$$ in gas. :( The idea of being able to travel like this in more comfort rather than a car, or on a motorcycle( which we still love these kind of trips as well), and take our pups is really exciting thought. We both think do it now or never get to do it. But to us its a big step. We are living debt free and have been since we retired in 2012 and taking on a payment for a MH scares us along with the cost of operation. We just don't want to make a mistake. Was anyone else in this situation when they were considering purchasing one. My husband found a used 2011 Newmar Canyon Star he found in RV Trader from a private seller and I'm panicking... But I'm also a little excited. Any input with anything positive or negative would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Wow! Where to start?

My first thoughts are these. If you will be stressed out by the cost of fuel, a motorhome may not be for you. That said, don't forget to offset fuel costs with the fact that you won't be paying for car or motorcycle fuel and motel costs. It is a recurring cost that you just have to bear.

Spontaneity is not impossible with an RV, but you will need to be comfortable "boondocking" a significant amount. Many of the better RV parks do fill up in advance and with this pandemic going on, it seems that there are more people in RVs, so it probably won't get better any time soon. There are some other alternatives such as Harvest Hosts...https://harvesthosts.com/

As for the cost and resale of a motorhome, let's just say that they aren't "money makers." Buying used will help ease the pain, but it is unlikely that you will fully recover your full investment if/when you sell it.

Having a motorhome does provide you with a familiar, comfortable place to stay when on-the road. That certainly counts for something.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

TJ

Welcome to RVForums @Vicrider. You have a lot of questions in your post so I'll try to address these below. The moral of it is that getting your first RV as I did is terrifying. Without risk there is no reward, as we've heard. We can all stay home in the comfort of home and that's fine but there is a lot to see and great adventures to be had if you give yourself the opportunity. I ordered my Newmar new and did a factory pickup at Newmar to get training as I've never owned one of these before and I wanted all the training I could get. Forums like this is where you'll get your support and answers to questions as well as meet great friends when you cross paths in your travels. Heck, my first campground I couldn't figure out how to connect the sewer hose to my RV but I got online, asked, got an answer immediately, went to the campground store and bought the 90 degree elbow I was missing. Whew! You may want to rent first and see if it's something you'll like but that may not be the same experience as owning your own, etc. I never rented. From the day I ordered until 3 months later to pickup I was an emotional wreck wanting to cancel, forfeit the deposit, questioning and doubting myself, yet I went through with it and glad I did.

how does a person know if they are making a mistake?

You have to decide this and take a leap of faith if you choose to go for it. If you discuss with your spouse and realize it's too much risk then maybe don't do it. We can't answer this for you sadly.

when it comes time to not RV anymore, you can't get rid of it

RV's sell fast, if priced right. You will likely not profit from this due to depreciation so go into it knowing that you're are offloading it to someone else and the joy of it was your profit.

I've also heard that more and more people are camping and RVing and the campgrounds are virtually filled up unless you give months advance notice and sometimes we do things spontaneously with only a couple weeks knowledge ourselves that we want to go somewhere

We all hear this, it's fear factor, I've yet to have a problem getting a campground I needed. I may not get my first choice campground or site but there are tons of campgrounds out there including options such as Harvest Hosts where farmers, wineries, golf courses let you stay at their places too. Want to go to a highly desired location in peak season then yes, you need to reserve well in advance. It's no different than booking a hotel during a holiday in that case. People are dramatizing the RV sales boom and campgrounds can't handle the demand, sorry, it's BS.

Especially in the popular places like National Parks which is on our list of places to hit

Popular destinations require planning but you can typically find a campground maybe not your desired one or as close as you'd like but they are out there. Plenty of them.

The feeling that if you don't constantly use your RV then your paying on something that doesn't get used THAT much to account for the cost? For me...the fact that they only get about 10mpg! For people who travel more distance rather than just local campgrounds maybe 500 miles away...that is a ton of $$$$ in gas.

People use their RV's differing amounts. I hate for something to sit as that's when it seems to break based on my corvette that dry rotted in my garage keeping the miles down! Stupid me! Set a goal such as a weekend a month or a long trip once a year or whatever suits your needs.

We both think do it now or never get to do it

A common sentiment, people wait, have health issues, whatever the reason and never do it. I'm in my early 50's and dove on the opportunity as tomorrow is no promise. Live your best life today.

We are living debt free and have been since we retired in 2012 and taking on a payment for a MH scares us along with the cost of operation

People have differing opinions on finance, I'm one that prefers to take loans out and invest my cash where I can make far higher return typically than 4-5% loan on a RV (my rate from 2017 is 4.5%). If you can't make the payments or tragedy strikes, the bank takes it back.

My husband found a used 2011 Newmar Canyon Star he found in RV Trader from a private seller and I'm panicking... But I'm also a little excited

Tons of great RV's out there, don't settle, find the floorplan you love and one you'll enjoy and not wish you would have gotten something else.

I hope this answers some of your questions. Only you can decide many of these but I suggest go look at RV's at a nearby dealer and see what you think. Get educated with a local dealer but many of us would go anywhere in the nation to find the right one. Do not think the local dealer is the only place to buy. Feel free to ask any and all questions on this forum and we'll gladly help as best as we can.

Wow! Where to start?

My first thoughts are these. If you will be stressed out by the cost of fuel, a motorhome may not be for you. That said, don't forget to offset fuel costs with the fact that you won't be paying for car or motorcycle fuel and motel costs. It is a recurring cost that you just have to bear.

Spontaneity is not impossible with an RV, but you will need to be comfortable "boondocking" a significant amount. Many of the better RV parks do fill up in advance and with this pandemic going on, it seems that there are more people in RVs, so it probably won't get better any time soon. There are some other alternatives such as Harvest Hosts...https://harvesthosts.com/

As for the cost and resale of a motorhome, let's just say that they aren't "money makers." Buying used will help ease the pain, but it is unlikely that you will fully recover your full investment if/when you sell it.

Having a motorhome does provide you with a familiar, comfortable place to stay when on-the road. That certainly counts for something.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

TJ

Thank you for your response. Your answers and our thoughts that we kinda keep forgetting about for some reason ( that we won't be driving ALL the time) and that motels are getting higher and higher and a lot of times are not where we'd like to be, helps with the probably inaccurate idea of going broke in gasoline. lol! We don't have a problem with boondocking a lot. When traveling on our motorcycles we've often envied the folks in nice RV's just parked on public areas resting or eating or spending the night as it might be. Us thinking..wouldn't that be nice??!
The Harvest Host link...thank you for that. We didn't know anything like that even existed. So much to learn. Thanks so much for your input. It is greatly appreciated.

Welcome to RVForums @Vicrider. You have a lot of questions in your post so I'll try to address these below. The moral of it is that getting your first RV as I did is terrifying. Without risk there is no reward, as we've heard. We can all stay home in the comfort of home and that's fine but there is a lot to see and great adventures to be had if you give yourself the opportunity. I ordered my Newmar new and did a factory pickup at Newmar to get training as I've never owned one of these before and I wanted all the training I could get. Forums like this is where you'll get your support and answers to questions as well as meet great friends when you cross paths in your travels. Heck, my first campground I couldn't figure out how to connect the sewer hose to my RV but I got online, asked, got an answer immediately, went to the campground store and bought the 90 degree elbow I was missing. Whew! You may want to rent first and see if it's something you'll like but that may not be the same experience as owning your own, etc. I never rented. From the day I ordered until 3 months later to pickup I was an emotional wreck wanting to cancel, forfeit the deposit, questioning and doubting myself, yet I went through with it and glad I did.

You have to decide this and take a leap of faith if you choose to go for it. If you discuss with your spouse and realize it's too much risk then maybe don't do it. We can't answer this for you sadly.

RV's sell fast, if priced right. You will likely not profit from this due to depreciation so go into it knowing that you're are offloading it to someone else and the joy of it was your profit.

We all hear this, it's fear factor, I've yet to have a problem getting a campground I needed. I may not get my first choice campground or site but there are tons of campgrounds out there including options such as Harvest Hosts where farmers, wineries, golf courses let you stay at their places too. Want to go to a highly desired location in peak season then yes, you need to reserve well in advance. It's no different than booking a hotel during a holiday in that case. People are dramatizing the RV sales boom and campgrounds can't handle the demand, sorry, it's BS.

Popular destinations require planning but you can typically find a campground maybe not your desired one or as close as you'd like but they are out there. Plenty of them.

People use their RV's differing amounts. I hate for something to sit as that's when it seems to break based on my corvette that dry rotted in my garage keeping the miles down! Stupid me! Set a goal such as a weekend a month or a long trip once a year or whatever suits your needs.

A common sentiment, people wait, have health issues, whatever the reason and never do it. I'm in my early 50's and dove on the opportunity as tomorrow is no promise. Live your best life today.

People have differing opinions on finance, I'm one that prefers to take loans out and invest my cash where I can make far higher return typically than 4-5% loan on a RV (my rate from 2017 is 4.5%). If you can't make the payments or tragedy strikes, the bank takes it back.

Tons of great RV's out there, don't settle, find the floorplan you love and one you'll enjoy and not wish you would have gotten something else.

I hope this answers some of your questions. Only you can decide many of these but I suggest go look at RV's at a nearby dealer and see what you think. Get educated with a local dealer but many of us would go anywhere in the nation to find the right one. Do not think the local dealer is the only place to buy. Feel free to ask any and all questions on this forum and we'll gladly help as best as we can.

Neal thank you, as well, for your response. you seem to have calmed my thoughts some. Lol! we already know what model we would need because there are only two toy haulers in a Newmar and that is the brand we’re looking at. I believe the only other brand RV toyhauler is a Thor and we’ve heard to stay away from them. Cheaply made.

My husband is very mechanically inclined and owned and drove semis for 40 years pulling 60 foot tanks before retiring and has worked on them through those years as well, during that period of time. So he knows engines and hookups and elbows, etc. He has done plumbing in our house electrical, and many other things. Understands wiring etc, because he is also our mechanic on our motorcycles. So we have that advantage. ? he’s a very handy fella to have around. ❤?

Like you, we believe do a little financing and keep our investments. ?

Neal thank you as well for your response. Actually, you kind of set our minds at ease a little. ? I know that some of our worry is probably unfounded, just because of the “fear of the unknown.” I believe this is something we can do. there may be a few hitches along the way, but thankfully because of forums such as this, there is always answers. we don’t worry too much about mechanical things unless it’s something strictly that only a dealer can do. My husband owned, drove and worked on semis for 40 years before retiring. He is also very handy in wiring and electrical. pretty handy fella to have around. ❤️? so we may have a bit of an advantage over some on that aspect.

we also feel like a loan and keep our investments is the way to go. To me, the payment would be kind of like “renting” until it’s time not to anymore..then sell.

we are looking at the Newmar toy hauler models, so we pretty much have made up our mind on that. The only toy hauler in a RV that is not a 5th wheel is a Thor, and we’ve not heard good things about that brand, cheaply made we’ve heard. No offense to folks that may own one.
We are hoping for a good used one when lower miles ..not too old, but don’t want the big depreciation of a new one right off the bat. hopefully finding something before this winter.

since this is new to us, if we do find used that is not through a dealer, I understand finding an RV inspector to look at it. what questions should we be asking of the owner? anything to steer away from?
how do we know if it’s a reasonable price? Is there a listing like cars to tell us that information?
I think we will start by going to a Newmar dealer locally and looking and asking questions.But it really boils down to two models. 3920 and 3921 toy haulers.
Thanks so much for taking the time to sift through my ramblings and answer questions. ?

Latest resources

Back