Rustymayes

RVF VIP
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Fulltimer
No
So I am looking into buying an enclosed trailer to tow instead of adding a tow set up to the Canyon. I figure I am limiting myself to only taking the Canyon with us instead of either the Rover DIscovery or the Maserati Quatroporte. The obvious factors are the $15000 cost difference but more importantly is the hassle factor in towing the trailer and what to do with it at the destination park. Question is, for those of you that do trailer instead of flat tow, are you able to find accommodations for the trailer or do you find that it really limits the places you can visit? I am restoring a 1969 Alfa Romeo Spider that I intend to take to track events and to Alfa Club gatherings so a trailer will be useful for those trips, but would I find it too much of a hassle to use my primary method of transporting an auxiliary vehicle on weekend getaways?

Having a trailer does require us to do more work, but then having a 45’ coach also requires more planning work.

In the 2 years we have had this coach and trailer we have been able to visit the areas we wanted, but not all campgrounds will have space.

Some/few places will have spots long enough, most require us to drop/park the trailer separate. Some require some skill to maneuver into a location.

A trailer also requires more time to hookup and load than a flat tow does. We generally allow ourselves an hour for trailer hookup, load and tie down.

0D2EADC7-ADB9-4AF1-928C-A8CF688FEDCC.jpeg

Sounds like you need a stacker. Plenty of folks cope with trailers, and while it is a bit more limiting, it provides other benefits as well. When I did this I had the trailer built tall enough to have space for hanging storage (such as kayaks) over the vehicle, and built in cabinets and a work bench (with vise) in the front with a roll-away tool chest and compressor under the bench. So I always had a mobil shop with me. Also had solar on the roof and a battery bank and inverter under the bench.

And since I had a couple windows installed and an RV door when I had it built, I then added some fold-up toy-hauler furniture and used it for a break-out room, mud room, dog kennel, card room, bar and grill, etc. So while it did create some extra hassles, it also added a lot of options to my camping experience.

The reason I mention a stacker in your case is so that you could haul a car and a tow vehicle at the same time, such as the Alfa or Mas above and the Canyon or Rover below. Then you’d have something to use to easily move the trailer around, and also alternative transportation. I know all this probably didn’t help a bit, but it is fun to toy with these conundrums.

I tow an enclosed 8.5 x 14 behind my gasser to haul two Indian Motorcycles, associated gear, and paddle boards. It tows like a dream. At some camps, it’s a little difficult to drop the trailer in a real good position, but it’s never been impossible.

Latest resources

Back