Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

EFG84

RVF Newbee
My wife and I are weighing the pros and cons of buying a motorhome. Any input from experienced and not so experienced rv goers would be appreciated.
Just for starters..
Our current situation:
2-4 years out from retirement eligibility;
Own a home (mortgage);
Considering a Super C;
Would like to tow a vehicle, recommendations?
Preferred financial options of purchasing an rv;

Welcome from Georgia!

Super C is a pretty small segment of the market so you won't find a tremendous selection of new or used either one but if you can find the right coach for your needs I prefer a used one in good condition. Ask for maintenance records. As for towing, Jeep Grand Cherokees 4wd's are one of the most popular. That's what we tow now. We have also towed a Ram 1500 4wd pickup truck which did just as well. I recommend the Air Force One auxillary brake for the TOAD. WE use the Blue Ox tow bar but a lot of people in here like the Roadmaster tow bar. Finally, if you can't store the rig at your home like we can, you'll have to think about a place to store it. In some cities this can add quite a bit of expense.

Welcome @EFG84. Glad to have you join the group.

Retiring this month. We saved for years in a “rv fund”, apart from our retirement savings. 2/3 of it will go toward RV, and 1/3 is reserved for maintenance and upgrades. That monthly contribution will now be available for a cusions against inflation.
Home is paid for, but we want to downsize and move to a slightly cooler climate.
We don’t want to be financing anything now, but would do so if it made better financial sense. We’ve a lot of things to figure out this summer, but long stiry short - we’re trying to keep the rv costs independent of our longterm retirement ... in other words, Heaven forbid, we lost the Rv in a freak accident, we’d not be destitute. We’d just give up traveling I guess, and retire permanently in our S&B.

Latest resources

Back