• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

JFlo

RVF Regular
Hello!
I recently got my first travel trailer, a 2018 Dutchmen Kodiak Cub 175BH, and am trying to find info about the power converter. Does anyone know if it has a staged charging process, so that I wouldn't have to worry about leaving it connected to shore power for extended periods of time?

Jason

Having model numbers of the converter would help answer your question. Likely that model year will have a 3 stage charging system.

A lot of OE converters are junk and will over charge/boil your batteries and may even be a fire hazard. Once you figure out what you have, and research the performance/pros and cons, if it is sub-standard, talk to Randy at Best Converter BestConverter - Converters, Inverters, Electrical Supplies, Electronics You’ll get good info that will help you decide whether or not to replace the existing equipment.

Last edited:
A lot of OE converters are junk and will over charge/boil your batteries and may even be a fire hazard. Once you figure out whar you have, if it is sub-standard, talk to Randy at Best Converter BestConverter - Converters, Inverters, Electrical Supplies, Electronics You’ll get good info that will help you decide whether or not to replace the existing equipment.
Yeah, I've been learning more about the shortcomings of OEM equipment in RVs... I'm planning to test the charging stages of this convertor first to make sure it's actually switching into its float mode before looking into a replacement. Any tips on doing that? The trailer has been plugged into my house power (15 amps) for about a day now, would that be enough time for it to go into float mode?

I wouldn't go as far as to say that "OE Converters are junk". That is just the technology of 20+ years ago.

The newer technology chargers are more sophisticated and are "smarter" with regard to properly charging and maintaining the battery. And with today's different battery technology be they wet-cell, AGM, Li-ion, Na-ion, etc., the charging and maintaining requirements are different.

Yes, I agree, Best Converter is the most reliable source of information and equipment for RV converters I've found.

I was able to confirm the converter output voltage jumped to around 14 Vdc when first plugged in, then dropped to around 13.2 for the float mode while charging, so it seems the converter is doing its job. Thanks for you help fellas!

those seem like good numbers for bulk and float. Bulk should actually be a bit higher, 14.6 or so, but it sounds like its working as designed. Ideally you would monitor amps being fed into the battery at given voltages, for given times, but using just a volt meter, the above is a good indicator that things are ok.

Latest resources

Back