Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Converter stopped recognizing 12v battery input, 2004 Terry 300BH trialer

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

BEagen

RVF Newbee
I accidentally installed one of the 6v batteries backwards, resulting in a reverse polarity situation. Since then, the converter doesn't recognize the (new) 12v battery. I had read that thee should be a "resettable breaker" whose purpose is to protect the converter in case of a reversed polarity situation. I have looked everywhere, inside and out and can't find one. Not near the battery and not near the converter or anywhere i between. The owner's manual wiring diagram shows a 40w fuse in line between the battery and the converter but I just can't locate it. It's not on or near the A/C power/ 12v fuse box. Any help/clues/advice greatly appreciated. Trailer is a Fleetwood Terry, 300BH. Thanks.

I don't know your specific RV, but most will have an in-line fuse in the positive (red) cable near the battery. It will usually be in a small, plastic enclosure of some sort. Follow the positive (+) cable from the battery and look for something that may even look like a bulge in the cable.

Resettable breakers on inverters ("converters") are usually small, plastic buttons that pop up when they open. In some cases, it may be hard to determine whether or not they are "up." Press any button you find to reset it.

TJ

how many batteries do you have, just the two? If that's the case then reversing one of the 6v batteries that are in series will result in 0v and should not bother anything. Just wire the batteries in series and measure the voltage across the terminals before any hookups.

A little more. brand and model numbers are ambiguous at best. By what I could find the model is a pull trailer. Usually any fuse or auto reset breaker is before the wire goes into the trailer. Another note. fuses don't protect anything in a reverse voltage condition. If such protection exists it would be diodes inside the converter. Inverters at least cheap ones have no reverse voltage protection. It is likely the breaker you are looking for is a little box with two terminals #10 in size on one side. No resetting is needed It is time to get the multi-meter out to verify voltage at the battery then at the converter/ fuse terminal. with this data we may help you get to the bottom of your problem.

I don't know your specific RV, but most will have an in-line fuse in the positive (red) cable near the battery. It will usually be in a small, plastic enclosure of some sort. Follow the positive (+) cable from the battery and look for something that may even look like a bulge in the cable.

Resettable breakers on inverters ("converters") are usually small, plastic buttons that pop up when they open. In some cases, it may be hard to determine whether or not they are "up." Press any button you find to reset it.

TJ
Thanks for the response. I had already gone down that route. The positive cable goes directly up, into the floor without any breaks/fuses/links (contrary to what everyone has said is normal - but that's how my luck runs) . I traced the cable with a tracer and it led all the way back to the AC/DC power boards/center and converter. After much ado, I found the manual for the WFCO 45 Amp converter and, voilla! There are two 30 amp fuses on the "back" of the unit that are specifically for reversed polarity situations. Unfortunately, the converter was mounted in such a way as to make removing/checking the fuses nearly impossible. Took forever, but I was able to dismount the converter enough to coax the fuses out. Visual and continuity tests indicated they are good. Coaxed them back in and remounted the converter. I even cleaned the battery negative ground for good measure. At this point, I'm thinking the (14 year old) converter is bad. I do appreciate your taking the time to respond and wish I had found a better (cheaper?) solution. Stay safe.

Latest resources

Back