• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Courtesy at the Pumps, where is it?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
A few years ago, I stopped at a busy Shell station in North Ft. Myers (motorcycle). I got to a pump after only waiting for a couple minutes. The work van across from me was vacant as I started pumping my gas. Before I was finished a male/Mexican came out and got in the driver's seat and started eating his lunch. Just before I was ready to pull out there was one car waiting behind me and two waiting behind him. I reached over and knocked on his window. He rolled it down and I told him two other cars were waiting. He smiled and shrugged his shoulders, rolled up his window, and went back to eating. A rather large black man pumping gas in front of me witnessed all of this. He stopped pumping, walked over to the guy's van and basically yelled at him to "move this F%#^&$@ vehicle". The male/Mexican dropped his lunch and took off immediately!

People can be idiots no matter what State they live in.

It's not just California. This "me first" nonsense, akin to "don't tell me what to do" seems to have infected most of those under 50!
I know!!! Just a view due to visiting califoniyikes. Here is something from Washington State! It might be worse than any of the others mentioned!!!

IMG_20240709_145044.jpg

Timing could not have been any better ( about 5 minutes ago)

I know!!! Just a view due to visiting califoniyikes. Here is something from Washington State! It might be worse than any of the others mentioned!!!

View attachment 24770
Unbelievable!!

View attachment 24770
Unfortunately I don’t think you need good timing to find examples of this anymore.

It's not just California. This "me first" nonsense, akin to "don't tell me what to do" seems to have infected most of those under 50!
Thank you for that...because the, although Cali-bashing is an easy shot to take, I'm here to tell you guess what? This crap happens probably 1 out of every 3 or 4 fuel stops for us...AND I USE NOTHING BUT TRUCK STOPS! And, not playing the "one-up game", but as a reference to help, when you've got a trucker who doesn't pull far enough forward so you can get to the pump...IT'S EVEN WORSE!! Reason being, now YOU can't fuel up, and STILL have to wait for them to return to do so.

And, instead of waiting for a ding-bat to return with their subway and fill a small 30 gallon tank, we have 200 gallon tanks to fill.

My wife CRINGES, now, every time I pull into a Truck Stop. OH...and we only use one station in SoCal and never had a problem there. But, as you can imagine, truck stops have every license plate in the nation and I've not drawn any conclusions.

In fact, I did a mental inventory of my 50 years of fueling in California and honestly say I've never seen this kinda crap happen here. But, when I read the OP, I remembered my last trip home from back east, in my truck, and couldn't get to a pump for the same thing...and empty car. Saw an elderly lady limp up and look inside then turn around and go back into the store. And, I mean it was there for the WHOLE time I fueled up, drove to a parking slot, went in to use the bathroom. In the bathroom, I heard and saw a VERY elderly man barely able to walk as his wife yelled at him from the door. Like you, I was mad and really wanted to give them a little "hey, ya know..." lesson. But prayed silently for peace and sympathy for their situation; whatever it was that caused them to be so ignorant and lack 'common-sense' courtesy that is ABSENT from so many others who are a third their age.

Now...the punk-a$$e$ that drive like they stole their KIA...now THAT is a different kinda story! LOL

(jeesh this quick reply sure is long! LOL)

Thank you for that...because the, although Cali-bashing is an easy shot to take, I'm here to tell you guess what? This crap happens probably 1 out of every 3 or 4 fuel stops for us...AND I USE NOTHING BUT TRUCK STOPS! And, not playing the "one-up game", but as a reference to help, when you've got a trucker who doesn't pull far enough forward so you can get to the pump...IT'S EVEN WORSE!! Reason being, now YOU can't fuel up, and STILL have to wait for them to return to do so.

And, instead of waiting for a ding-bat to return with their subway and fill a small 30 gallon tank, we have 200 gallon tanks to fill.

My wife CRINGES, now, every time I pull into a Truck Stop. OH...and we only use one station in SoCal and never had a problem there. But, as you can imagine, truck stops have every license plate in the nation and I've not drawn any conclusions.

In fact, I did a mental inventory of my 50 years of fueling in California and honestly say I've never seen this kinda crap happen here. But, when I read the OP, I remembered my last trip home from back east, in my truck, and couldn't get to a pump for the same thing...and empty car. Saw an elderly lady limp up and look inside then turn around and go back into the store. And, I mean it was there for the WHOLE time I fueled up, drove to a parking slot, went in to use the bathroom. In the bathroom, I heard and saw a VERY elderly man barely able to walk as his wife yelled at him from the door. Like you, I was mad and really wanted to give them a little "hey, ya know..." lesson. But prayed silently for peace and sympathy for their situation; whatever it was that caused them to be so ignorant and lack 'common-sense' courtesy that is ABSENT from so many others who are a third their age.

Now...the punk-a$$e$ that drive like they stole their KIA...now THAT is a different kinda story! LOL

(jeesh this quick reply sure is long! LOL)
I knew I would piss someone off, but thought you would see My bull s#$t, for what it is!!! Everywhere there are a few that make All look bad!

There! Hopefully that clears things up! I personally think these things must be paid to stir the pot, because I cannot conceive that they don't know what they do!!!

There! Hopefully that clears things up! I personally think these things must be paid to stir the pot, because I cannot conceive that they don't know what they do!!!
I think they may have a clue but the fact is they "don't give a damn" Scarlet.

We’re on our way home from our Alaska trip and we had a great time except at the gas pumps. Us gassers have some unique issues getting to pumps that we can access with a 38ft towing a Jeep. We manage by usually staying on the outside pumps and we don’t mind waiting to get to them if they’re busy. One of the problems I deal with is someone pumps their car/truck full of gas then leaves to shop in the store. Sometimes for as long as 15 min. Common courtesy would dictate that after fill up you take your car to a parking spot so others can fill up. Now most of these instances seem to be of the younger generation, but not all.

Today topped it all. At a Loves Truck Stop I pulled in for full and went into the area where the pumps are and got behind a truck and travel trailer that seemed to be in line for the far pump like me. There was a black car I thought was getting gas making the guy in front of me wait. While waiting a white SUV zips in to get gas on the far pumps as well. I wasn’t happy, but hey he has space while the black car was still there so no harm, no foul. Anyway he got done filling up, then got his dog out to us the bathroom with his car at the pumps. So I opened my window, got his attention, explained that this was not the time or place to leave your car for dogging stuff. He promptly moved. The guy with the truck/travel trailer still has not moved so the wife went up to see what the delay was. Here is a couple eating lunch in the front seat blocking the lane and never intended to get fuel. So we go them to move. I pulled my RV right to the back bumper of the black car (still there) and no one around. Probably 20 min now. I go in and tell the cashier the issue, she makes an announcement. About 5-10 min later a young lady walks out to the car. I told here you are to never leave your car at the pumps while shopping. Other people need to get fuel too. Her rebuttal to me was she parked there because she had a baby in the car!
I just could not believe it!! I guess she did that so people would not see the babies in the car in a parking lot. I was livid!! She pulled away before I could get my wits together.
We were going to find a park for the night, but I ended up driving for another 2 1/2 hrs so I could cool down.
Why is it, that many feel they are intitled to abusing us! I am going to make one of those little rascal poker punchers made from a plunger that comes out of the window quickly to send a clear "How dare you!" Only kidding! "No, I'm not! lol!

We’re on our way home from our Alaska trip and we had a great time except at the gas pumps. Us gassers have some unique issues getting to pumps that we can access with a 38ft towing a Jeep. We manage by usually staying on the outside pumps and we don’t mind waiting to get to them if they’re busy. One of the problems I deal with is someone pumps their car/truck full of gas then leaves to shop in the store. Sometimes for as long as 15 min. Common courtesy would dictate that after fill up you take your car to a parking spot so others can fill up. Now most of these instances seem to be of the younger generation, but not all.

Today topped it all. At a Loves Truck Stop I pulled in for full and went into the area where the pumps are and got behind a truck and travel trailer that seemed to be in line for the far pump like me. There was a black car I thought was getting gas making the guy in front of me wait. While waiting a white SUV zips in to get gas on the far pumps as well. I wasn’t happy, but hey he has space while the black car was still there so no harm, no foul. Anyway he got done filling up, then got his dog out to us the bathroom with his car at the pumps. So I opened my window, got his attention, explained that this was not the time or place to leave your car for dogging stuff. He promptly moved. The guy with the truck/travel trailer still has not moved so the wife went up to see what the delay was. Here is a couple eating lunch in the front seat blocking the lane and never intended to get fuel. So we go them to move. I pulled my RV right to the back bumper of the black car (still there) and no one around. Probably 20 min now. I go in and tell the cashier the issue, she makes an announcement. About 5-10 min later a young lady walks out to the car. I told here you are to never leave your car at the pumps while shopping. Other people need to get fuel too. Her rebuttal to me was she parked there because she had a baby in the car!
I just could not believe it!! I guess she did that so people would not see the babies in the car in a parking lot. I was livid!! She pulled away before I could get my wits together.
We were going to find a park for the night, but I ended up driving for another 2 1/2 hrs so I could cool down.
I have had the same problems for years. I can't help myself but to say something when they finally appear all the time telling myself I'm too old to fight. Sometimes I can block them in by pulling around them and hard left turn to angle into the pumps to fuel. When they complain I tell them they shouldn't have blocked the pumps when they were done fueling.

Latest resources

Back