Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Dixigrl5

RVF Newbee
Hello Fellow RVers! We took a southern route across country in our Forest River Gray Wolf two years ago. New York to Key West to California. It was 4 wonderful months! We would love to do it again, leaving NY in December but taking a more northerly route through Wyoming to Idaho, then Portland Oregon. For any of you with experience, is this possible considering colder weather and possible snow?

I believe @Neal msy have some words of wisdom.

Haha, yes, I have trekked the northern tundra of the US when many others chose to go south. It's an enjoyable challenge but just have to be prepared for mountain passes etc. that can be dangerous. RVers up north will use a heated fresh water line so they can keep connected in cold temps. It's certainly doable and as I love the snow it was fun to see. You can search the forum for autosocks and you'll find my wonderful story of last winter. They are tire chain alternatives and were a life saver for me.

Watch the weather, not only at macro level but at micro level (your route of travel in next few days window). Have plan for dealing with highway closures, when it is coming down heavy they shut down till safe to clear. Know the chain up requirements for coach and toad. Have cold weather gear.

Can still remember my DW asking why all the exits had gates on them. She was incredulous when I explained they shut down the interstates when snow became too heavy to keep up with. Then we got caught on the wrong side of a pass with it coming down a foot an hour, she understood after that.

It certainly would not be my "cup of tea". For that northern trip in December I don't think there would be "a chance of snow" I think you will definitely be in some snow.

Besides all the safety concerns of trying to tow a TT in slippery road conditions you could have different serious issues to deal with on the actual camping side. As Neal mentioned most folks who camp in winter conditions utilize a heated water hose. Of course, that heated water hose won't do you any good if the campground has no electricity and your rig doesn't have a generator. In extended cold temps (staying below 28 degrees) you also have to worry about dumping your tanks. Gate valves do not like long cold stretches. You may end up hauling some RV antifreeze with you and using it for flushing when the temps are dropping and staying low.

I would certainly do a lot of research on winter camping prior to taking such a trip.

Latest resources

Back