Chassis
Prevost
Engine
Volvo D13
TOW/TOAD
2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Fulltimer
No
On the first leg of our trip from Coburg to Vegas, we had a dead battery in the Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk when we got to Reno. Nothing like being stuck trying to make a sharp turn and needing to unhook the toad to get unstuck and you can't start the toad and you have no jumper cables. I digress. Nevertheless, the dead battery has never happened before and we recently changed from the RVi braking system to the AF1 system as I wanted something that was connected to the braking on the coach.

We are still trying to figure out why we had a dead battery for the first time ever. The jeep has the anti-wobble kit in it to keep the steering alive and we confirmed the battery has a charge line into it as well as a charge line to the anti-wobble kit and a charge line to the AF1 actuator under the hood. I imagine the bus is pushing 12-13 volts to the toad and I had NIRVC check the jeep connector to make sure it was wired correctly. No issues there. Does anyone have any theories why the battery went dead and or what to check for to figure out the source of what is killing the battery?

@sheridany, sorry to hear of your troubles. How old is the battery?

Max 2 years old. I am going to have the battery tested tomorrow.

Jump box is relatively cheap insurance

We towed a 2107 Jeep Cherokee (AF1 and the flat tow wiring harness) and never had dead battery. I did havel a RVI Towed Battery Charger installed in the Cherokee.

Have you checked what the actual voltage the toad is seeing from the bus? Maybe you have a connection that is loose or has become corroded.

Safe Travels.

We got this resolved. It was a bad fuse block on the battery charge line. Took a while to figure it out. The jeep is getting charged now.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back