Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummings ,450 hp
TOW/TOAD
2014 Dodge caravan
Fulltimer
No
I am having trouble with my death gauge not reading a full tank. The computer has shut it down and default a couple of times and it's very expensive to get a Cummings technician to come and reset the computer. They say it's either a faulty sending unit in the tank or a broken wire somewhere in the harness. Any ideas. Thank you

Please provide the year and chassis manufacturer. Also please list your fault codes, and which MIL(s) and on. PM also sent. FYI if its under 5 years old its covered by the emissions warranty whether the service writer knows or admits it or not.

If it’s not covered, its possible you buy can the part(s) and fix it yourself. Many people have been successful at this with a little instruction. Most likely it’s what Freightliner calls a DEF header, and Spartan refers to as a DEF head. Very unlikely its a broken wire. But yours may also be serviceable, so the above into is important.

Ok your’s being a 2011, it will be different from pic in the TSB (2013 version) but it gives you an idea of what happens.
TSB: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2013/MC-10142383-9999.pdf
This is what I found for a 2011 FL DEF tank level sensor Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) Level Sensor | 904-7368 | Diesel Exhaust Fluid Level Sensor | Dorman HD Solutions
It may differ from yours (need a part number for that) but expected it‘s a mechanical float, so susceptible to the problems noted in the TSB. None of my system architecture diagrams give detail on the level sensor, but the above should get you started.

If you end up needing a level sensor and your shop cant find one, get the part number and post it here. It might cross reference to another manufacturer or some other source might have one.

Hope this helps.

What did you find out on this?

Latest resources

Back