Chassis
Prevost
Engine
Volvo D13
TOW/TOAD
2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Fulltimer
No
Reading the news this morning, and ATT is challenged with the performance of Direct TV. They are loosing subscribers as streaming becomes more mainstream trying to sustain profitability. Its probably around for some time before it gets acquired and integrated into another company. Likewise, they raised prices on what I consider to be an already expensive proposition. We will look towards streaming options in 2020 in our S&B where we have the internet speeds to support it.

What will you do for your coach if and when Direct TV goes away as an option?

Direct TV Article

For the RV, already have "DISH on the Go" subscription! Works great for me, as we are not full timers.
Have Comcast/Xfinity in S&B, so no issues there.

Reading the news this morning, and ATT is challenged with the performance of Direct TV. They are loosing subscribers as streaming becomes more mainstream trying to sustain profitability. Its probably around for some time before it gets acquired and integrated into another company. Likewise, they raised prices on what I consider to be an already expensive proposition. We will look towards streaming options in 2020 in our S&B where we have the internet speeds to support it.

What will you do for your coach if and when Direct TV goes away as an option?

Direct TV Article
Direct TV lost our business last month. Dish was offering the same package for $75.00 a month less, free installation and a $300.00 gift Visa card. I had been with Direct TV since 2003 but they never did anything to reward my loyalty except raise prices. And as mentioned, that was already a hefty amount of money to shell out each month.

I'm hoping to put Dish in the MH but I'm not sure how that's going to work with the Winegard. Haven't gotten that far yet. The last couple of places we stayed we bought the additional Internet package and used our Firestick. That was plenty of entertainment for us.

Having read a lot about DirecTV vs Dish before we picked up our New Aire, I went with Dish. Bought a Wally & hard drive on sale for half price during Black Friday. Our tech changed the dip switches on the unit on the roof for Dish, and I set up the box & hard drive. Called Dish & activated. Pretty simple...

I have heard or read somewhere and I could be wrong that you can go from Direct TV to Dish ( by changing something up on the roof) but not the other way around with the Winegard SWM direct tv satellite.

As "Akdare" said, on the Wineguard satellite there are a series of switches called "dip switches"; and are set in a numerical sequence. When set to the correct sequence, it allows the Wineguard to receive DISH signals. Also requires a DISH receiver,i.e. Wally, Hopper, Joey, or 211Z, to make it operational! Someone else may be able to better explain the operation!

I ordered my coach with DirecTV but when I learned they didn't offer the start/stop service and that was DISH I had the Elkhart Satellite people that do Newmars SAT work come to Camp Newmar to change my config over to DISH. Parts + Labor (2 x wally boxes) cost me $700. A mistake I could have avoided had the salesman better educated me at the time of the order when I brought this up but over time it will pay for itself. I've been VERY pleased with DISH and their customer service. Never an issue in 3 years now.

Realize that with the SWM you need to have different LNA/LNB's on the satellite dish, Winegard had a kit I have seen mentioned. We are staying with Direct till they die since they are the only ones that provide Sunday Ticket. On another note, Direct seems to have wised up about local channels, last 4 times it only took a few minutes to change. DW loves not having to play around with inputs,controllers … to get local channels

@sheridany … thanks for posting this as it is the first I have heard of it. We have Direct TV at our house and also in the RV. My latest promotional price ends in July so guess I better get ready to check into Dish. I will keep an eye out for good deals like @Jim found. @Jim … let us know what you find out about converting Direct TV to Dish in the RV as I would need to do that as well.

Also … on a fixed house satellite dish set-up, does Dish point is that same direction as Direct TV. Just wondering if I would have to move the satellite dish on the house if I switched.

FLSteve

I have had Dish and Direct at one time or another. But with all the silly shows they have now I didn't think there worth it anymore. I canceled Satellite all together and watch off the antenna now. At home I can receive about 50 channels of HD. Not to bad. Of course if there is nothing on to watch you can at least talk to your spouse. :)

Latest resources

Back