Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Do I have to keep charging batteries while on shore power?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

TXheat

RVF VIP
RV Year
RV Make
Holiday Rambler
RV Model
Endeavor
RV Length
Chassis
Roadmaster
Engine
350 Cummins
TOW/TOAD
None
Fulltimer
Yes
I'm not really sure how to phrase the question. On the Xantrex control panel there is a battery levels LED meter as most are familiar with and that will show that the battery is at around 11 or 12, The battery status indicator will usually show the the middle battery icon. Then after a while the level goes down and the status as well then if I press charge it charges up the battery, after it charges up I generally turn off the charge button, and it goes through the same thing again. I consulted the manual, from what a little understand it's not a good idea to keep pressing the charge button or overcharging?l I have not been able to understand how this works I should mention there is only one 12 volt deep cycle hooked up at the moment and that replaced 4x 6 volts that were in series. So what I don't seem to understand is if I'm connected to shore power why do I have to keep pressing the charge button unless something isn't working right?

I assume your converter is 3 stage.

The converter is designed to take care of the batteries, so let it do it's job and leave it on. It will only overcharge if it isn't a 3 stage charger, and over 14.4 volts.

The constant up and down constitutes a cycle of battery life lost with every charge/discharge cycle.

Latest resources

Back