Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Does an online RV forum cause you to buy more often?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neal

Staff member
RVF Administrator
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4037
RV Length
40' 10"
Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
We buy cars and I would venture to guess we keep them longer than what I read on forums like this of people rotating RV's for something different. I keep my cars probably 10-15 years. I know some I've met in the past rotated cars such as corvettes every two years. But it seems to me that people rotate RV's faster than cars. Why is this?

Do you think this is from you reading forums like this and seeing others trading up after 2-3 years? (be honest!!) Are you not making the right decision the first time and learning from it to make a better decision next time (floor plan?). Are you newing up because of problems with the former that you want to just start over with a fresh start?

Just curious as I see a lot more turnover in RV's than cars, in my small world at least. What are your observations and/or answers to the above or add reasons if something I didn't list.

RVForums.com is not responsible for your financial decisions.

Just my personal experience...I too, keep my cars a really long time. I got a new Mini Cooper Clubman in 2018. It replaced a 2008 Mini Cooper; that replaced a 1994 Volvo 850. We just replaced my DW’s 2013 Chevy Avalanche with a 2020 Jeep Gladiator (so happy she wanted something that could be flat towed easily).

The motorhome...we have a 2018, and have a 2020 NADP on order. When we bought the 2018, I didn’t really want to spend the upfront $$$ on a DP as it was our first coach, and we wanted to make sure we liked traveling/camping with it. Also, we wanted a shorter coach for maneuverability, and for getting into national/state parks. Enter the 35’ NADP with the bigger engine. I now have 2 years of experience driving, servicing and modding a coach, and know what I like and don’t like in a coach. The ability to add specials to fine tune it to our needs was the icing on the cake.

One final thought about trading sooner. I financed both coaches. I make far more with my investments than the interest rate, plus, the interest is tax deductible as a second home. Automobile loan interest is not tax deductible.

One final thought about trading sooner. I financed both coaches. I make far more with my investments than the interest rate, plus, the interest is tax deductible as a second home. Automobile loan interest is not tax deductible.
One caution about comparing tax deductibility to investment income; interest deductions on home mortgages are not dollar-for-dollar tax savings. We walked through this scenario with our CPA/tax advisor and financial advisor, and found that at current rates, we would get about $0.35 per dollar of interest paid in savings on taxes. The other $0.65 in interest paid would be an unreimbursed cost. YMMV

TJ

I’m a retired Certified Financial Planner/Financial advisor. The real comparison is between the interest rate on the coach loan, and the rate of return on your investments. No need to cash out $3-400k to pay cash when that same money can be making more than the loan interest. And, yes Jim, you’re correct; it’s only a tax deduction, not a tax credit.

Didn't mean to be preaching to the choir.

TJ

It really helps if you live in a sales tax friendly state that only charges sales tax on the difference in value. Here in the increasingly more lovely state of California we pay sales tax at almost 10% on the entire purchase every time. So on a Dutch Star your looking at north of $30,000 sales to each time. That combined with loan payments paid and depreciation it’s better then $100,000 to upgrade in 12-24 months.

Seemingly some here are in denial of owning up to the topic of this thread and instead want to feel better about financial chat. Jus'sayin... :coffee:

No I’m not in denial ? isn’t going to happen again until we change states

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back