Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Does fishing line color matter? Lures or bait?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Neal

Staff member
RVF Administrator
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4037
RV Length
40' 10"
Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
I'm getting back into fishing and let's say so far the fish have been very very safe! I carry 3 rods in the back cabinet using the wonderful command strip hook thingamabobs. I have both reel types for entertainment (spinning and baitcast). I have a hunch my fluorescent yellow line is not helping my cause. What color fishing line do you think is best? I was in cabelas yesterday adopting baby Kimber'leigh and saw the greenish colored stren "original" and thinking that's what I should get. Probably 10lb? And then the braided vs. not! Ohyyyy!

I have an array of lures in my little plastic box and I think of the two fish that were in the wrong place at the right time, one I may have actually "hit" with the lure as it landed on the water, what are your tips for general campground area fresh water lake fishing? Any opinions on lures vs. live bait?

Who thought catching those critters would be so complicated!

Here's a good primer on fishing lines and colors:

To some extent, your question also involves what type of fish you are after and the water conditions.

Over the years, I've caught plenty of fish on the old braided black line. Nowadays, fluorocarbon line is on most of my reels. I think lure color, flash and movement are more critical than line color.

TJ

Just remember it’s called “fishing” not catching for a reason? What is your target fish species dictates what to use, when fishing lakes bass is my favorite. After trying to figure it all out for years I have a collection of lures and plastics baits. Now I just try it all hoping to find something that works.

Just remember it’s called “fishing” not catching for a reason

I was wondering if I was "fishing" without a license and someone approached me, could I say I was just practice casting as that's 99.99% of what's going on? Does practice casting require a license?

Neal,
I was charged with “attempted fishing” in Canada, for being close to the water in possession of a rod and reel. Did not have bait, lures or fish anywhere even close to me. Did not have line in the water either. Went to court, and told the judge: If I’m just sitting in the car, does it mean I can be charged with “ attempted speeding”? He did not buy it. Had to pay $250 Canadian fine.

Neal,
I was charged with “attempted fishing” in Canada, for being close to the water in possession of a rod and reel. Did not have bait, lures or fish anywhere even close to me. Did not have line in the water either. Went to court, and told the judge: If I’m just sitting in the car, does it mean I can be charged with “ attempted speeding”? He did not buy it. Had to pay $250 Canadian fine.
Here's a similar story from Canada, but with a different result. My dad had a cabin in British Columbia that was right on the Straits of Georgia. One of his neighbors, a woman, like to sit on the beach and read a book. Her husband kept insisting that she needed to have a line in the water and possibly catch a salmon. To placate him, she tied just a sinker (no hook, bait or lure) to her line and cast it out, then went on to read her book.

Along comes a game officer and wants to see her fishing license. She told him she was not fishing and reeled in the line, showing him just the sinker at the end. He insisted that she had "all the equipment for fishing."

She then asked, what it I yell "rape?" He was taken aback and asked why she would do that. She looked at him and said "you have all the equipment to commit rape!" The game officer left without a further word...and, she continued to read her book.

True story!

TJ

I don't come up with good answers for at least two days after the fact! Glad she was a fast thinker!

Hopefully we will see @Neal winning the big prize at the Bassmaster Pro tournaments once he gets the lures and line colors sorted out. Maybe we will even see the Newmar logo on the jersey they wear....;)

Hopefully we will see @Neal winning the big prize at the Bassmaster Pro tournaments once he gets the lures and line colors sorted out. Maybe we will even see the Newmar logo on the jersey they wear....;)

If I can dive in the lake with a bayonette in my teeth (and a fake body suit to add muscles) only then would I win! Okay, water temp must be above 70 too!

Orange line to catch orange roughy?

Latest resources

Back