Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
We have over 20k miles on the Demco SS460 dolly used to transport 3800 lb sedan. It appears to be working properly. What is the expected life of the sealed wheel bearings and what is a good way to verify condition? I do not see any excessive heat from the wheel pressure sensors that measures air pressure and heat.
This next trip I am going to get out the thermal heat tool to see if there is any heat build up at the hub.

Thoughts??

Hey JoeHogan, I will need to buy a dolly in the spring, you have had your Demco for awhile, I take it that it works well? Our toad will only weigh about 3400 lbs but we do not have a DP to pull it, hope the new Ford V-8 has enough juice.

We have not had any material issues with this Dolly. I did have to fix a wire connection at approx 15k mile point. It was a simple replacement of a connector completed on the road. I would recommend a Demco Dolly. We have towed the sedan for going on three years and 22K miles ...

Hey @JoeHogan , My guess is you have nothing to worry about. Sealed hubs are used on front wheel cars all the time and have a very long life.

Hopefully the wheel bearings will provide some indication of pending failure such as heat on TPMS sensor or noise before failure (rather than bursting into flames like an oil bathed bearing).
It is my understanding that the hub and bearings come as an assembled package from Demco so roadside/parking lot replacement should not be an issue, should it come to that. Simple hand tools should be all that is required. https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Demco/DM04369.html

your on target.
yes they will heat up if bad.
yes they will make noise when turned , even by hand. but failure rate is lower with sealed hubs than those that you pack.

Three easy ways to check them each of them are part of a whole. Meaning one does not rule out the other.

Jack it up and check for play sealed bearings have a pre load in theory any play means there bad now with that being said I have seen them driven many miles with some minor play. Minor play is a very small amount felt at the outside of the tire.

While its up in the air a mechanics stethoscope placed on the inside as close to the bearings as possible while someone spins the bearing can show some faults before there a problem but its only a true test if they fail this one as the bearing is not loaded and will not always make noise.

Next is hitting them with a temp gun after driving for some time a temp gun is $35 from harbor freight or eBay and is worth every penny on road trips check tires and wheel bearings on all of your wheels and you need to check temps often enough to know when ones an issue. But one side showing 100 degrees or more than the other side with the same load is a problem.

Latest resources

Back