Dutch Star 3858
RV Length
38 ft
TOW/TOAD
None
Fulltimer
No
2000 Dutch Star DP
Has anyone fitted their coach with one of these new Dometic thermostats with the correct control boards?
From the old 4 button type.
Plug and play?
Or will it even work?
1615232696457.png

2000 Dutch Star DP
Has anyone fitted their coach with one of these new Dometic thermostats with the correct control boards?
From the old 4 button type.
Plug and play?
Or will it even work?
View attachment 5690
I updated to the 10 button thermostat from the older 5 button type. The five button thermo has the buttons in a vertical column. I replaced two of the three air conditioners and found out that the circuit boards in the newer A/C's were not compatible with the older thermo. The choice was to replace the circuit boards in the new A/C's with new ones but designed for the older thermo. at about $100 each. The second choice was to replace one older circuit board in the older A/C with one that's compatible with the two new ones. $90 for the circuit board and $120 for the 10 button thermo. The "phone" cable works for both thermostats. It is a special cable that has two of the wires in a different position. On my RV the three A/C's are daisy chained together by a similar cable. Each of the A/C circuit boards have little DIP switches that have to be set based on which zone the A/C is and if there is a heat strip or if it's a heat pump type A/C.
All the info is on Dometic's website. It's a bit confusing at first. I had to read it over a couple times before it sank in. You can see the circuit board of the older A/C in the picture.

Attachments

• 20180623_183702.jpg
    20180623_183702.jpg
    932.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 20180722_174122.jpg
    20180722_174122.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
I replaced my 2 A/C units and went from 13.5K to 15K units. I also installed the new thermostat as well. I love the new system! The thermostat is programable.

I realize this is an old post but I’ll post anyway in case anyone is searching for info on the Dometic 4 button thermostats. If yours is old and the buttons don’t work too well anymore it’s an easy fix. There’s nothing wrong with the thermostat. It’s just the buttons. I just ordered 4 new ones and changed them today. It’s like we have a new thermostat. And I didn’t even mess with soldering them in. I just opened each little switch and put the new pieces into the old switches. They’re just held closed by two little clips. Slip a tiny screwdriver or knife tip under them to just pop them open and use tweezers to swap out the pieces. There’s only three pieces. Two little metal things and a spring. Snap the new tops back on and presto…..your thermostat will be like new. I got the 4 new buttons from Amazon for about $20.

Thats great as long as everything else keeps working. When you have to replace an AC it gets confusing. We have a great site that uses a ladder diagram to indicate what will work with what. Multiple AC's create lots of turmoil. Kudo's to the4quads above for being able to work it out.

Latest resources

Back