• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

cowboytim

RVF Regular
2019 Highland ridge.
Domitic Blizzard Ducted system used to work in the Nevada desert and humid Virginia.
Move to north Texas Fort Worth area, AC blows slightly cool air.
Never had to use master bedroom Domitic Brisk ll at all till I moved to Texas. I put a large industrial fan in hall to push cooler air into Living area.
All I can manage is 80 plus degrees inside fifth wheel last summer.
One tech came out and said Domitic Blizzards are no good, need a better unit.
Another tech said it tested fine on a 65 degree day.....It seemed to blow cool air. He blamed it on a hot Texas sun heating the roof duct system.
He suggested a third Domitic in the front room. Its all wired for it in roof vent. plug and play.
I'm trying to figure out which unit to buy???
I don't want a loud one.
The Domitic Brisk ll blows cool air into ducts no matter what the temp is outside. Virginia and Nevada are very very hot too.
Just LOUD as heck!
I have tightened up Blizzard unit on roof for air leaks.
This weekend I'll check with a snake camera for leaks in the duct system.
The trip from Virginia to Texas may have jarred something loose like duct work.
Any Experience With this or similar Domitic or AC suggestions or better brand units?
Thanks Folks!

I look forward to a day when builders build with quality components.
RV roof top AC Units don't fit that description. If you want to have quality you would have to modify your RV a little.

Because you have a basement you could install a mini-split (inverter model), with two zones. You would never be awakened while you slept again. You would no longer talk over your comfort machine again. But you or your installer would have to be creative.

Or just get that useless piece of junk fixed.

We have always had Coleman Mach series and never an issue. I will say this….in hot late July summer humid SC near Myrtle Beach during near 100 degree days, even the Coleman had to run like a rented mule to keep the interior to a 78-80 degrees until the sun went down.

Has anyone used a Domitic Freshjet 3 Series?
They brag its their new "Flagship" model and Quite.....
Anyone have one or know someone who does?
Thanks

We have always had Coleman Mach series and never an issue. I will say this….in hot late July summer humid SC near Myrtle Beach during near 100 degree days, even the Coleman had to run like a rented mule to keep the interior to a 78-80 degrees until the sun went down.
I'll look it up and check the specs....Thank You

To better judge the AC, measure the intake or return air temperature and measure the cold air temperature coming out of the duct. Should be about 20 degrees difference. Now that says, if it's 100 outside, it should be about 80 inside. This depends on the full sun or full shade and anything in between.

Bob

To better judge the AC, measure the intake or return air temperature and measure the cold air temperature coming out of the duct. Should be about 20 degrees difference. Now that says, if it's 100 outside, it should be about 80 inside. This depends on the full sun or full shade and anything in between.

Bob
I had to replace my dometic this year. It was only cooling 2 degrees below ambient temp. The new one now cools 16-20 below ambient. A big help was putting the reflective aluminum windshield material on each window on the sunny side. Our windows allow a lot of heat into our rv's and to verify that you can open your shade on the sunny side and feel the heat coming in.

Slide toppers help also. I could feel the Texas heat on my head sitting in the slide out last fall.

Bob
Thanks Bob
To clarify, the temperature of the air going into the return air is lets say 80 it should come out 60.....temp outside might be 100 plus or whatever.....right.
Oh I should clarify I have a duct system. Air returns are inside.
Does that make sense?
Please correct me if not...
Thanks again!
Tim

Yes, coach air return in ceiling and cold air out should have roughly 20 degree difference if all other things are equal. As others have said though, windows uncovered, poor insulation, direct sun all will affect the interior temp. We put up window awnings on our full wall slide windows and noticed a big difference in the heat coming in those windows and could still see out. If a full blackout is an option then reflectx is an option. Keeping the sun/heat off the glass and slide roof is more effective than trying to contain the heat it causes once it gets inside, so anything you can do on the outside will help.

Latest resources

Back