RV Length
?
Chassis
?
Engine
none
TOW/TOAD
?
So much I don't know. New or used? 5th wheel or TT, actually I'm pretty sure I want a mid size TT. Are pop outs really a good idea? How much trailer do I really need? How small can I realistically get away with? How do I get the most hot showers without finding a service port?

I posited a pretty large new member topic. So this is probably sort of double posting. Basically my work allows me to work basically anywhere in the continental US for however long I like. And I would like to use a trailer to leverage that to find a new long term living situation, as I have live where I do now. I might have one or two family members working with me, so we need 3 comfortable sleeping spots, on board water to shower for a few days if possible, and a place to cook. Everything else is icing. I do however think it's a good idea to entertain the idea of camping with family occasionally, so sleeping for 6 is probably a good idea. But not hotel living comforts. Comfortable sleeping is the only real need for that.

I can tow ANYTHING. My tow rig is a hot shot truck rated for 35k on the goose and 14k on the bumper. Currently no 5th wheel hitch, and even though that's a minimal cost, I think keeping the bed available for tools, bikes and storage is important to me. So I'm kind of gravitating towards a 30 foot TT unless I can get what I need and want out of something smaller.

I don't know how I feel about slide outs. They seem like a huge point of failure to me and I can't imagine having to deal with a stuck slider before or after a 16 hour day of construction work. I know that technology gets better over time and maybe it's not an issue now. Is there a date in time to not go past when looking at used trailers to avoid slider issues? Can I get what I want whiteout them. Should I embrace them and go all in for as many sliders as I can get?

How much onboard fresh water and grey water can I reasonably home to expect, given that hot showers are my top priority? Can I upgrade these capacity on my own?

If buying new, how do I steer the dealer encounter to got wat I want instead of just padding their pockets with an easy cookie cutter sale?

Should I just look for a new trailer or consider used? And is it true you can buy a trailer with a mortgage?

Thanks for any and all shared wisdom, advice and criticism.

That's a long list of wants. The shower concern is all in how long the showers are. Showers while in our MH are WAY shorter than the ones taken at home. If you run out of water for showers, that also means you can't flush the toilet. Now that leads to real problems. As for the sleeping areas, maybe something with a couple bunks would work. When not needed, they are good storage areas.
Good luck in the search.
Holler if we can help with anything.
Ken

One, it appears you sort of want to live in it, whatever it might be or have that option. That determines a lot. Comfort will be key. The first and major limitation is your tow vehicle. WHAT can you tow? You got a 3500 truck, you can get what you want. You got a Subaru, not so much. You, based upon what you said, are going to want at least a 1500 truck, probably a 2500. And IF you are going to drive a lot make sure it is comfortable.

A fifth wheel is more comfortable to drive but a TT is OK with the right tow vehicle and usually a lot less expensive for roughly equivalent items. Based upon what you expressed, you are going to be in it a lot. A slide gives you room and a "sense" of space. No slide and you will learn to do the chinese puzzle dance if you have companions. Dogs get to learn to back up down the "hallway." two legged companions learn to drop into the dinette seat so another can pass or throw themselves on a bed.

If you have "companions" you might consider a private bedroom...with a door(s). WE ended up going this way with a floor plan that gave us space (slide), bunks, storage adult level sleeping, and a private bedroom and decent bathroom at a relatively low price... https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2022-Dutchmen-Aspen+Trail+2340BHWE-5018315500. This set up will work with a half ton truck. Get the most torque (3.92 gearing) and as much payload (amount you can put in a truck including "loaded" tongue weight of trailer.) Anything bigger trailerwise you might look to a 3/4 ton truck. Half tons are more comfortable easier to drive. 3/4 tons can still be comfortable now days but are at their core essentially tow beasts...

Next comes your pocketbook. IF you need both a truck and a trailer new, count on 100K NEW. It would have been 20K less two years ago. This is if you are going to go with something like that linked above...or used you can knock maybe 30K plus off of that price used. Interest rates have jumped two points also over the last two years, over 1% in the last six months. Don't forget costs with gas going up so much...

The best deals are low miles used trucks and one or two year old trailers...of any type. For trucks pick the "brand" you like use Cargurus to start shopping. For RV's of any type use RVtrader to check pricing. IF you are willing to travel 500 miles for either, you can get better deals on both to the tune of as much as 10K for both. If anything, these low miles low years units both trucks and trailers are the best deals as someone else got to work the bugs out of both. Get extended warranties on both.

So, that's my take... Trailers are of different quality with Airstream being best and a slew of others at the bottom including the one I linked toward the bottom. Count on first year warranty work, save up, get it done during the winter count on not seeing it for a month or two. Quality on all of them (well except maybe the very top units) has suffered over the last couple years. There is a chance of us seeing a lot of low years trailers hitting the market soon imho...

Points of clarification that might have gone unnoticed in my original post.
My tow pig is a hotshot rig rated 35k from the goose or 14k from the bumper. So not a point of consideration.
And I fully understand the water situation. That is specific what I'm seeking to optimize that as much as possible. 1500 plus days at sea aboard aircraft carriers has taught me the ways of the navy shower. But I still want to have as much freshwater and grey water as possible.

Thanks for the input so far.

One, it appears you sort of want to live in it, whatever it might be or have that option. That determines a lot. Comfort will be key. The first and major limitation is your tow vehicle. WHAT can you tow? You got a 3500 truck, you can get what you want. You got a Subaru, not so much. You, based upon what you said, are going to want at least a 1500 truck, probably a 2500. And IF you are going to drive a lot make sure it is comfortable.

A fifth wheel is more comfortable to drive but a TT is OK with the right tow vehicle and usually a lot less expensive for roughly equivalent items. Based upon what you expressed, you are going to be in it a lot. A slide gives you room and a "sense" of space. No slide and you will learn to do the chinese puzzle dance if you have companions. Dogs get to learn to back up down the "hallway." two legged companions learn to drop into the dinette seat so another can pass or throw themselves on a bed.

If you have "companions" you might consider a private bedroom...with a door(s). WE ended up going this way with a floor plan that gave us space (slide), bunks, storage adult level sleeping, and a private bedroom and decent bathroom at a relatively low price... https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2022-Dutchmen-Aspen+Trail+2340BHWE-5018315500. This set up will work with a half ton truck. Get the most torque (3.92 gearing) and as much payload (amount you can put in a truck including "loaded" tongue weight of trailer.) Anything bigger trailerwise you might look to a 3/4 ton truck. Half tons are more comfortable easier to drive. 3/4 tons can still be comfortable now days but are at their core essentially tow beasts...

Next comes your pocketbook. IF you need both a truck and a trailer new, count on 100K NEW. It would have been 20K less two years ago. This is if you are going to go with something like that linked above...or used you can knock maybe 30K plus off of that price used. Interest rates have jumped two points also over the last two years, over 1% in the last six months. Don't forget costs with gas going up so much...

The best deals are low miles used trucks and one or two year old trailers...of any type. For trucks pick the "brand" you like use Cargurus to start shopping. For RV's of any type use RVtrader to check pricing. IF you are willing to travel 500 miles for either, you can get better deals on both to the tune of as much as 10K for both. If anything, these low miles low years units both trucks and trailers are the best deals as someone else got to work the bugs out of both. Get extended warranties on both.

So, that's my take... Trailers are of different quality with Airstream being best and a slew of others at the bottom including the one I linked toward the bottom. Count on first year warranty work, save up, get it done during the winter count on not seeing it for a month or two. Quality on all of them (well except maybe the very top units) has suffered over the last couple years. There is a chance of us seeing a lot of low years trailers hitting the market soon imho...
Yeah, I'm sort of counting on a surge of buyers remorse after deciding to not participate in the market the last two years. Thanks for the links, I will check them out.

Points of clarification that might have gone unnoticed in my original post.
My tow pig is a hotshot rig rated 35k from the goose or 14k from the bumper. So not a point of consideration.
And I fully understand the water situation. That is specific what I'm seeking to optimize that as much as possible. 1500 plus days at sea aboard aircraft carriers has taught me the ways of the navy shower. But I still want to have as much freshwater and grey water as possible.

Thanks for the input so far.
50 gallon water tanks are the most common size. I sure wouldn't go any smaller. Smart designers will have smaller black tanks and bigger gray tanks. Most are the same size... having had a small 38 gallon water tank once, I have two of the blue plastic "jerry cans" for an extra 12 gallons. They are cheap, light and easy. They fit most anywhere empty and can act as a "buffer" in a truck bed or storage. Two balance if you are going to a hand pump. Four can almost double your water in totally dry situations. If you fill your gray tanks, Camco Rhino gray water totes can buy you a couple days. I have a 15 gallon as I can get it into the back of a truck. They come bigger. Big wheels are a plus. Frankly my personal experience is that the other totes suck much worse and will eventually get you wet. Especially the big gray ones I can't remember the name of...

50 gallon water tanks are the most common size. I sure wouldn't go any smaller. Smart designers will have smaller black tanks and bigger gray tanks. Most are the same size... having had a small 38 gallon water tank once, I have two of the blue plastic "jerry cans" for an extra 12 gallons. They are cheap, light and easy. Four can almost double your water in totally dry situations. If you fill your gray tanks, Camco Rhino gray water totes can buy you a couple days. I have a 15 gallon as I can get it into the back of a truck. They come bigger. Frankly my personal experience is that the other totes suck and will eventually get you wet. Especially the big gray ones I can't remember the name of...
Yeah, I have a 9 and half foot bed on Big Money, so I could transport a lot of water to top off. I'm just asking around hoping they fit em with bigger tanks from the factory. My priorities are shower, sleep and cook in that order. I have zero use for all the glamping bs they have been moving towards since 9 11. I could theoretically have a couple very large transfer tanks in the bed.

Yeah, I have a 9 and half foot bed on Big Money, so I could transport a lot of water to top off. I'm just asking around hoping they fit em with bigger tanks from the factory. My priorities are shower, sleep and cook in that order. I have zero use for all the glamping bs they have been moving towards since 9 11. I could theoretically have a couple very large transfer tanks in the bed.
Your set up is not the norm. You really have no limitations on reserve water or gray water tote storage. And honestly, I seldom fill before travel and never a long trip, just local "dry runs." Water is heavy and sucks to drag around, sucks gas and you will know it's there pulling 4 sure. There are places you can fill and web sites that tell you where for dumping and potable water. Doing Hot Shot runs you also got the tools like ramps etc to get liquids where they need to go. I emphasize my Suspension including road armor and Gen-Y cushioned hitch for my Travel Trailer. I do 20 plus miles on dirt Nat Forest Roads here in MT to get away from people to semi-secret places. Dirt tends to keep the riff raff and glampers away.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back